Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 is not recognised with Finder or iTunes

My iPhone has a broken screen and I want to make a back up. However, I cannot unlock it, since the screen is dead. So I tried recovery mode. and then update. The device is then updated (to IOS 16.1), but after that still not recognised. After a forced reset it goes back into recovery mode asking to be updated again. I tried this with tow different cables with two different MacBooks ( an old Pro and a new M1).

I even tried external software, but that also states that the phone must go out of recovery mode, which it cannot do and then wants to update the IOS again.

So, is there a way to back up the data on this phone through some other way? Apple help could not help me further!

Thanks a lot for your help.

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:20 PM

If you tried to backup the device and when you couldn't, you tried recovery mode? If that is truly the case, then you have corrupted or deleted the content of the iPhone already. Recovery Mode can be difficult and require more than one try, but you can also look at the information here to see if this helps you get the device recognized by the computer. See this, If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support If that does not help, follow Step 7 and contact Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 4:20 PM in response to frank-adam

If you tried to backup the device and when you couldn't, you tried recovery mode? If that is truly the case, then you have corrupted or deleted the content of the iPhone already. Recovery Mode can be difficult and require more than one try, but you can also look at the information here to see if this helps you get the device recognized by the computer. See this, If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support If that does not help, follow Step 7 and contact Apple Support.

Nov 3, 2022 5:14 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.

I asked Apple help from the get go and they told me to do a hard reset (volume up/down/hold power). Then it went to recovery. And they told me to update. The rest is history.

All computers and iPhone are on the latest version. I used different cables and even two different computers (a M1 with Finder and a MacBook Pro with iTunes). No result.

It is just important to get the data out of the phone. That's all. I was scrapping it anyway.

Anybody any other idea?

iPhone 8 is not recognised with Finder or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.