Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metadata for ripped movies

I have an extensive library of ripped movies. I would like to add some metadata to them so that it shows up in the TV app such as the rating of the movie (G, PG, PG-13, etc.). It shows up in movies I have purchased from the store but I can't figure out how to add it to the movies I already have.

I am using Ventura and the Apple TV is my preferred app to use with the Apple TV.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 10:50 PM

The TV app on Mac allows users to edit a few metadata tags on media files that have been added to the TV app library.

More tags can be set using third party apps, including some tags that the TV app will read in non-editable form, e.g. certification (rating for age appropriateness) as applicable for your country or region.

One such app is Subler. After updating the metadata tags, you may have to delete the title from TV app library and add the file again, for the TV app to register what happened externally.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 10:50 PM in response to Lida Verner

The TV app on Mac allows users to edit a few metadata tags on media files that have been added to the TV app library.

More tags can be set using third party apps, including some tags that the TV app will read in non-editable form, e.g. certification (rating for age appropriateness) as applicable for your country or region.

One such app is Subler. After updating the metadata tags, you may have to delete the title from TV app library and add the file again, for the TV app to register what happened externally.

Metadata for ripped movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.