Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Final Cut ask for disk space when there is still 1,5 TB free space on it?

Hi, after system update my final cut do not working properly, there is a lot of lags, working a lot slower than usual and the main issue is that final cut says that is not enough space on my disk.

I had still 500 GB free on my disk, but ok, I've clean it up to 1,5 TB free space, but it do not solve the problem, final cut still do not see a free space. What can i do? I working on this for 6 month and i do not have similar problem before, i do not change anything on my disk, only clean some space. I hope you can solve my problem, thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 7:01 AM

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB so that appears be your problem.

Format the drive as APFS (SSD) or Mac OS Extended, GUID (HDD) for the Mac apps. Use exFAT (or maybe NTFS with some 3rd party extra to enable writing to it) to share files to other OSs.

6 replies

Nov 4, 2022 5:24 AM in response to roch225

What disk are you talking about - the one with your media, or the one with your OS? Or are they one and the same?

Select the drive in the Finder, press Command-I and post a screenshot.

macOS tends to hold on to space it calls "purgeable" and not immediately free it. FCP will not see "purgeable" space as free, and that could well be the problem.

Why Final Cut ask for disk space when there is still 1,5 TB free space on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.