Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to highlight multiple segments of text (in PAGES) without repeatedly going back to the "more text options" button in pages?

I do research, and it's very helpful for me to highlight text in PAGES documents.

But there this requires multiple steps, and there is an awkward problem I want to solve. Here's what I've been doing:

1) I highlight the text. 

2) I go to the format side-bar and click the gear noted as "More Text Options" (it was called something else in earlier versions of PAGES)

3) A drop-down menu appears, and I go to "text background” and click on two palette options.

4) A “Color” window appears, and I click on a color (usually yellow) 

Now here’s the problem, after clicking the color the  “Color” window remains on my screen, and that's fine—But, if I highlight a second bit of text, it seems logical that I could use the  “Color” window and click on yellow again to highlight the text background… But, it changes the color of the text, NOT the background. I need to close the  “Color” window and start all over. This is terribly frustrating, and involves repeating multiple steps. 

QUESTION: Is there a solution to this?

Thank you,

Mike

I'm using PAGES version 12.2

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 1:04 PM

Pick any random text and apply the Text background color from the ⚙️ Advanced Options panel. With that highlighted text still selected, visit Character Styles and click the + symbol to add a new character style. In the case of your yellow highlight it will be clearly visible and give it a name such as yellow highlight. If you following the > at the end of the entry, you can even assign it an F1 - F8 shortcut.

The next time you want to apply this same highlight, you can either select the target text and press the assigned function key, or you can select previous highlighted text, press option+cmd+C, and then select the target text and press option+cmd+V to paste that style.

If you want this highlighting or other styles preserved across documents you will need to save them in a new template for future usage.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 1:04 PM in response to Mike Clelland

Pick any random text and apply the Text background color from the ⚙️ Advanced Options panel. With that highlighted text still selected, visit Character Styles and click the + symbol to add a new character style. In the case of your yellow highlight it will be clearly visible and give it a name such as yellow highlight. If you following the > at the end of the entry, you can even assign it an F1 - F8 shortcut.

The next time you want to apply this same highlight, you can either select the target text and press the assigned function key, or you can select previous highlighted text, press option+cmd+C, and then select the target text and press option+cmd+V to paste that style.

If you want this highlighting or other styles preserved across documents you will need to save them in a new template for future usage.

How to highlight multiple segments of text (in PAGES) without repeatedly going back to the "more text options" button in pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.