Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 64GB (2021) - where has the storage gone?

Hi,

I have an Apple TV 4K 64GB (2021) and I'm struggling to work out what is using 54GB of the 64GB.

Yesterday, I got a warning (can't remember the exact text) saying that I was low on storage, and some app data had been automatically removed. I can't understand how I can possibly be low on storage.

One of the problems on the Apple TV is that you can't get a detailed breakdown of where all the storage has gone.

If I go to Settings -> General -> Manage storage, it shows this:

Which shows only about 616MB usage.

I used the 3rd party app "TV Info" to check how much space is actually used. See image below:

which clearly indicates 54.74GB used.

So that's roughly 54GB unaccounted for. Is there a way to check what is taking up this 54GB, and how can I delete it?

Thanks for any help

Liz

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 12:18 PM

I had the same issue, only had 10 apps and no downloaded media but was seeing 57.90GB of space used on my Apple TV 4K 64GB. I resolved this with a reset as well (down to 10.12GB used). Settings >> System >> Reset >> Reset and update

There was a space recognition issue with the new 128gb Apple TV 4K that was recently resolved in an update. I'm curious if I would have only performed the software update if the issue would have been resolved without reset. I recommend trying that before going through the reset process and logging into all the apps (easy with iOS).

Good luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 12:18 PM in response to altairfour

I had the same issue, only had 10 apps and no downloaded media but was seeing 57.90GB of space used on my Apple TV 4K 64GB. I resolved this with a reset as well (down to 10.12GB used). Settings >> System >> Reset >> Reset and update

There was a space recognition issue with the new 128gb Apple TV 4K that was recently resolved in an update. I'm curious if I would have only performed the software update if the issue would have been resolved without reset. I recommend trying that before going through the reset process and logging into all the apps (easy with iOS).

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2022 10:12 AM in response to altairfour

I've also never had an issue (even on my 32GB, with quite a few apps) and not sure how much I trust a 3rd party app for accuracy. The settings will show exactly the amount that each app is using, and the only other areas would be for the OS, and any screensaver cache. Also, the system is smart enough to prioritize when it needs space for streamed media and flush as necessary. However, if you receive an error again you can make note of it and contact Apple.

Apple TV 4K 64GB (2021) - where has the storage gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.