Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player app not working on Mini M1

I have a Mac mini with M1 chip (2020) on Big Sur (11.7) and I use an external Pioneer drive (BDR-XD05S). When I put in a commercial DVD movie disk, the DVD player comes up but does not play. I hit play in the controls, or space bar- but nothing happens. I have VLC installed on my Mini and can play the DVD with that.

I also have a MacBook Pro (retina, 13 inch, late 2013) which is also on Big Sur. I can use the Pioneer drive on it and the DVD player comes up and begins to play- no issue. So- I am asking if there is an issue with the M1 chip and the DVD player and if there is a workaround? Thanks.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 6:45 AM

The fix is to open DVD Player with Rosetta. Find the DVD Player app in either your Applications folder or /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/

Highlight the app and right click to Get Info

Check the box Open using Rosetta

5 replies

Nov 6, 2022 6:32 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the response- but that is not my issue. I intentionally changed settings to select VLC to confirm that my external DVD player would play the DVD for the Mini- which it did. The default setting was the DVD player app and that is the app I would prefer to use. But, as stated in my issue, it is not working on the Mini. I appreciate any other comments- thanks.

DVD player app not working on Mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.