Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from El Captain to Monterey?

I've got an iMac from 2015. I researched and it seems Monterey is the only/latest version I can upgrade to. But - I can't find Monterey anywhere. Any advice?

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 9:56 PM

Hello!

There's no need to use Internet Recovery to upgrade from OS X El Capitan to macOS Monterey. In fact, it won't work! You need to simply use the installer. Get it here: How to download macOS - Apple Support.

For this method, follow the steps, and make sure you have a backup first!

Jack

4 replies

Nov 5, 2022 9:36 PM in response to TheChinGroup

TheChinGroup Said:

"Upgrade from El Captain to Monterey?: I've got an iMac from 2015. I researched and it seems Monterey is the only/latest version I can upgrade to. But - I can't find Monterey anywhere. Any advice?"

-------

Upgrading a 2015 iMac to Lastest Version:

Hold Down These Keys Upon Boot: [Command + Option + R] It will run you through reinstalling the latest version of macOS compatible with your Mac.

Nov 5, 2022 10:01 PM in response to TheLittles

Hold Down These Keys Upon Boot: [Command + Option + R] It will run you through reinstalling the latest version of macOS compatible with your Mac.

I'm sorry, but won't work, unfortunately. In order for macOS Internet Recovery to show the latest compatible version of macOS, macOS Sierra or later already needs to be installed.

Jack

Upgrade from El Captain to Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.