Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frozen Migration to new MacBook pro using Wi-Fi

Trying to migrate from mid 2014 macbk pro with Big Sur to new 2021 m1 macbk pro with Ventura using Wi-Fi. Setup completed before starting migration. Migration appeared to go smoothly for about 2 1/2 hours. Then screen says about 394,000 files transferred with 5 minutes remaining. That was about 20 hours ago. Screen options are “back” or “cancel”. I don’t know if transfer is complete and not telling me or migration assistant is frozen near the finish line. Don’t know what back means and don’t want to cancel if migration is complete. What’s the best way to get out of this without making things worse?

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 7:31 AM

leefromvirginia beach wrote:

Trying to migrate from mid 2014 macbk pro with Big Sur to new 2021 m1 macbk pro with Ventura using Wi-Fi. Setup completed before starting migration. Migration appeared to go smoothly for about 2 1/2 hours. Then screen says about 394,000 files transferred with 5 minutes remaining. That was about 20 hours ago. Screen options are “back” or “cancel”. I don’t know if transfer is complete and not telling me or migration assistant is frozen near the finish line. Don’t know what back means and don’t want to cancel if migration is complete. What’s the best way to get out of this without making things worse?

You are always better off moving large amounts of data with a cable connection.

If you are stuck—

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Reboot ans see where this leaves you.

Try again—

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 7:31 AM in response to leefromvirginia beach

leefromvirginia beach wrote:

You are always better off moving large amounts of data with a cable connection.

If you are stuck—

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Reboot ans see where this leaves you.

Try again—

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Frozen Migration to new MacBook pro using Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.