Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook optimized battery charging doesn't work when charging from Studio Display

Hi friends,

I use a couple M1 Macbook Pros and have noticed that the optimized battery charging (ie stopping charging at 80% to extend battery lifespan) never works when they're charging via USB-C cord from a Studio Display. It works as expected, stopping charging at 80%, when they're charging from their charger with a magsafe cord instead.

Anyone else noticed this? I prefer not to resort to 3rd party options like Al Dente when Apple has a native solution but also don't want to cause unnecessary battery aging since my personal laptop is almost always plugged into the Studio Display.

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 5:18 AM

ardakara wrote:

Hi friends,

I use a couple M1 Macbook Pros and have noticed that the optimized battery charging (ie stopping charging at 80% to extend battery lifespan) never works when they're charging via USB-C cord from a Studio Display. It works as expected, stopping charging at 80%, when they're charging from their charger with a magsafe cord instead.

Anyone else noticed this? I prefer not to resort to 3rd party options like Al Dente when Apple has a native solution but also don't want to cause unnecessary battery aging since my personal laptop is almost always plugged into the Studio Display.

Thanks!

It is recommended to always be plugged direct to your power source— I would not rely on display charging only— as you have witnessed.

if you think it should be different then submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

ref:

Use external monitors with your Mac: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 5:18 AM in response to ardakara

ardakara wrote:

Hi friends,

Thanks!

It is recommended to always be plugged direct to your power source— I would not rely on display charging only— as you have witnessed.

if you think it should be different then submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

ref:

Use external monitors with your Mac: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 8, 2022 6:59 AM in response to ardakara

ardakara wrote:

Interesting - Are you suggesting plugging in an additional MagSafe charger while you’re already getting power from the USB-C connection to the Studio Display?

?

I do not know how to say it more clearly than what is posted above...

Why not try it and compare your results, then report back your findings.

You can submit your Apple Feedback here:  hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback

and/or

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Macbook optimized battery charging doesn't work when charging from Studio Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.