Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Child bypasses Screen Time limits on websites by using shortcuts.

I have set up Screen Time on my son's MacOS account to limit the time he is able to use certain apps and websites. For example, I do not want him to view YouTube for more than an hour each day. The Screen Time rules work successfully to block access to the apps and websites, but he has found a workaround using the Shortcuts app. By creating a shortcut to open a certain website such as YouTube, he is able to continue accessing the website after the time limit is reached. This seems to be because Shortcuts opens the website in a special stripped-down "Preview" browser window (not the full Safari app) where the time limits do not seem to apply. This is very frustrating since as soon as he reaches the time limit, he can simply launch the shortcut and continue accessing the website. I can find no way to block or delete the Shortcuts app altogether which would presumable prevent him from doing this.

Screen Time needs a way to completely block certain apps from launching (not just a time limit). The Shortcuts workaround bug should also be addressed.

Any tips on how to resolve this in the mean time would be appreciated!

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 8:42 AM

While there might be a user with an answer here, I suggest you make Apple aware of it:

Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply

Child bypasses Screen Time limits on websites by using shortcuts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.