Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to 12.6.1 failed; now stuck in Recovery Mode loop

My update to 12.6.1 failed. My Mac Mini (M1) now boots straight into Recovery Mode without me having to hold down modifier key or do anything.

Recovery reports "Your computer started up in Recovery because of a problem. ... Reinstall macOS to resolve this issue."

I then follow the directions for re-installing macOS, but it ultimately fails. I have tried this ~6+ times. I have successfully used Disk Utility to repair the volume and I have run the M1 Diagnostic Tool (no issues found).

When I get to the "end" of the macOS re-install process, this error pops up:

"An error occurred preparing the update. Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again."

I do try again, and the same cycle repeats.

There seems to be an issue between 12.6 and 12.6.1; some screens indicate 12.6 is installed, and others indicate 12.6.1 is installed.

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 3:23 PM

I needed to Erase the drive (while in Recovery Mode) and then reinstall macOS.

I was not sure what version of macOS I was getting but it ended up being 12.6.1.

WIth macOS installed, I was able to restore files, accounts and settings via my Time Machine backup.

I don't understand why I was having the problem reported above, but at least I am back up and running. It took a long time -- ~3 hours.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 3:23 PM in response to MJ

I needed to Erase the drive (while in Recovery Mode) and then reinstall macOS.

I was not sure what version of macOS I was getting but it ended up being 12.6.1.

WIth macOS installed, I was able to restore files, accounts and settings via my Time Machine backup.

I don't understand why I was having the problem reported above, but at least I am back up and running. It took a long time -- ~3 hours.

Update to 12.6.1 failed; now stuck in Recovery Mode loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.