Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What on Earth is the video codec named “dish”?

We have iPhone 13 Camera settings at HEVC, HD, 1920 x 1080. I just recorded dozens of video clips and copied them to a Mac. For all of the clips, Finder and QuickTime Player report the Codecs as AAC, Timed Metadata, HEVC.

Howsomever… One 30-second clip in the batch reports the Codecs as AAC, dish, Timed Metadata, HEVC. Note the “dish”.

That is a problem, because this file can’t be imported for editing. For example, Adobe Media Encoder throws this error for only this file:

IMG_8982.MOV could not be imported. Could not open source file.

Please check that file exists with correct permissions.

What the heck is that "dish" doing there? Any ideas about what might be going on?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 2:55 AM

Al Hatch wrote:

Ahah! There it is, right in your Clip Info:

Codec ID : dish

Thanks. Now, what does that mean?

Sorry, don't know how I could miss it.

I see that Tom has already pointed out its relation to the cinematic videos in recent iPhones.

As noted before, the video itself worked fine for me.

Can you compare the MediaInfo results of this with other similar videos, to see if something stands out as fundamentally different?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 2:55 AM in response to Al Hatch

Al Hatch wrote:

Ahah! There it is, right in your Clip Info:

Codec ID : dish

Thanks. Now, what does that mean?

Sorry, don't know how I could miss it.

I see that Tom has already pointed out its relation to the cinematic videos in recent iPhones.

As noted before, the video itself worked fine for me.

Can you compare the MediaInfo results of this with other similar videos, to see if something stands out as fundamentally different?

Nov 11, 2022 12:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

This is driving me nuts. All videos are taken with an iPhone 13 Pro under iOS 16.1. 

Today, I tried a dozen variations in settings for Apple's Camera app. After each settings change, I shot in Cinematic and Normal 1080p. There is no consistency in the metadata among all the clips!

• 01 Cinematic.mov metadata shows “cinematic-video”, yet it contains only one Video channel and NO Codec ID: dish.
  • 02 Cinematic.mov metadata shows “cinematic-video”, but it contains two Video channels and… Codec ID: dish.
  • 03 Normal.MOV metadata shows NO Codec: dish.

I will continue to experiment, and post if I hit upon anything.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Nov 10, 2022 10:32 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, I learned something from this. My Camera app setting is 1080p at 30fps. It doesn’t matter whether HDR is on or off. It doesn’t matter whether it is shooting in Cinematic mode. It turns out that Codec ID: dish appears in the metadata for EVERY video shot with iPhone. 

In my case, the problem is that one and only one movie file shows “dish” in the Finder window. And that is the one that Adobe Media Encoder won’t accept. I’ll probably never know what’s going on here, but I am going to report it to Adobe, just for grins.

Thank you both, gentlemen.

Nov 11, 2022 5:26 AM in response to Al Hatch

Is this the base iPhone 13? What iOS are you using? Are you using the Apple Camera app? My 13 Pro Max with 16.1 doesn't shoot a second video track with dish. Of all the iPhone video I have, recent and older, only Cinematic videos have the second video track. Some are missing it, but this may be due to when Cinematic was broken, and the metadata was being lost in transfer.

What on Earth is the video codec named “dish”?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.