Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music, difference between "Add to Library" and "Love"?

I'm coming from Spotify to Apple Music. Using Spotify, I can like a song with a single key press and it is added to my music library. This song is used in Spotify's algorithms for my weekly Discover Playlist. Using Apple Music requires some additional key presses to "Add to Library" and/or "Love" a song. The key presses are through the track pane to "..." icon, then "Add to Library" and/or "Love", so a bit cumbersome if you're on the treadmill at a gym.

That aside, does anyone know the differences between "Add to Library" and/or "Love"? Do I need to select both to get similar functionality as Spotify in my weekly Discover Playlist?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 7:48 PM

Then there are three big options under the "..." icon, which appears both in iOS Music and Mac Music: "Love", "Add to Library", "Add to Playlist". "Love" updates Apple's recommendation engine to suggest new music to you, perhaps through the Discover Playlist. "Add to Library" simply adds a song to your Library without any recommendation updates. "Add to Playlist" both adds the song to a playlist and updates Apple's recommendation engine.

It seems "Add to Playlist" is very similar to Spotify's "Heart" icon. Do you know if this is true?

Also, I'm seeing all three of the Apple Music functions described above under a "..." icon on both iOS Music and Mac Music. These interfaces require at least two key presses or more. Spotify has a simple heart shaped icon which performs at least one of the Apple Music functions. Spotify makes the function quick and easy to use, especially when on a treadmill at the gym. Do you know if Apple Music for Mac or iOS has a quicker, one press interface, that can be used rather than going through the "..." icon and dropdown menu?

Thanks

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 7:48 PM in response to MrHoffman

Then there are three big options under the "..." icon, which appears both in iOS Music and Mac Music: "Love", "Add to Library", "Add to Playlist". "Love" updates Apple's recommendation engine to suggest new music to you, perhaps through the Discover Playlist. "Add to Library" simply adds a song to your Library without any recommendation updates. "Add to Playlist" both adds the song to a playlist and updates Apple's recommendation engine.

It seems "Add to Playlist" is very similar to Spotify's "Heart" icon. Do you know if this is true?

Also, I'm seeing all three of the Apple Music functions described above under a "..." icon on both iOS Music and Mac Music. These interfaces require at least two key presses or more. Spotify has a simple heart shaped icon which performs at least one of the Apple Music functions. Spotify makes the function quick and easy to use, especially when on a treadmill at the gym. Do you know if Apple Music for Mac or iOS has a quicker, one press interface, that can be used rather than going through the "..." icon and dropdown menu?

Thanks

Nov 11, 2022 8:01 PM in response to atod

I am unfamiliar with Spotify.

I add stuff to the library or (more commonly) add he song or album to one of my playlists.

(Why more commonly? If you add music to your library while using CarPlay, you either have to use Siri, or add the song to the library and later revisit and add the song to a playlist. You don’t get a choice to directly add a song to a playlist with the CarPlay UI. Otherwise and with the other playback interfaces, I select Add to Playlist.)

The rest sorts itself out.

Nov 11, 2022 7:31 PM in response to atod

Love the song will make Apple Music recommend more similar songs to you.

Add the song to the library then you can see it in the library.

Apple Music, difference between "Add to Library" and "Love"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.