Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use close parenthesis on Macbook Pro

For some reason, my close parenthesis button, the one above the 0, no longer works on my 2020 Macbook Pro. I've reset the computer multiple times, I've gone through keyboard shortcuts to make sure nothing is bound to shift-0, and the 0 key still works just fine. When I pull up keyboard viewer and use shift 0, it registers just fine in the viewer, but no right parenthesis is created in safari, pages, notes, or any other application. I've googled around to try and figure out what's going on, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 6:16 AM

7 replies

Nov 14, 2022 8:07 AM in response to patricfromhayden

Hi patricfromhayden,

From here, we'd recommend following the steps here:

"If other keys don’t work

You may have accidentally set an option that changes how your keyboard operates.

• Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Accessibility  in the sidebar, then click Keyboard on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Slow Keys is turned off. If Slow Keys is on, you must press and hold a key longer than usual before it’s recognized.
  • Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, then click Pointer Control on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Mouse Keys is off.
  • Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Edit next to Input Sources on the right, then turn on “Show Input menu in menu bar.” Open the Input menu, then make sure the correct keyboard layout is selected.

"

If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses - Apple Support

If this still persists afterwards, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple to look into this with you further: Apple Support

Cheers.

Nov 26, 2022 3:34 PM in response to patricfromhayden

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Dec 19, 2022 11:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello,

I'm sorry this took me so long to reply to, I've gotten very busy over the past weeks. I just wanted you to know, I tried booting into safe mode, and the close parenthesis did indeed work, so I figured it was an application I was running, I went through each application that opens at login individually, and found the culprit, and app called bettersnaptool. Closing it made ) work again. Thank you so much for your help!

Can't use close parenthesis on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.