Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iTunes store allow preview of songs anymore?

When I find an album or song I'm interested in buying, and click on the preview arrow, a pop-up appears asking me to try out Apple music. When I close the pop-up, no music plays, and if I try again, the pop up appears again. In a previous Apple community discussion thread (Previewing songs in iTunes Store - Apple Community), an answer appears directing us to set 2 of this Apple support page (Buy or download music from the iTunes Store in Music on Mac - Apple Support). The Apple support page says, in step 2, that it is possible to preview music. But that is not my experience. I follow the directions precisely on the Apple support page, but all that happens is that no music plays, only the pop-up.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 7:46 PM

I found the solution. After one searches for an artist, album, or song; apparently the Music app will, by default, take to the page for that artist in "Apple Music," which does not allow previewing songs without a paid subscription. But in the upper right corner, there is a box for "itunes store," which will take to the page for that artist in the store, where it's possible to preview songs.

Search for music in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 7:46 PM in response to Arandel

I found the solution. After one searches for an artist, album, or song; apparently the Music app will, by default, take to the page for that artist in "Apple Music," which does not allow previewing songs without a paid subscription. But in the upper right corner, there is a box for "itunes store," which will take to the page for that artist in the store, where it's possible to preview songs.

Search for music in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2022 4:54 PM in response to Arandel

When I find an album or song I'm interested in buying, and click on the preview arrow, a pop-up appears asking me to try out Apple music. When I close the pop-up, no music plays, and if I try again, the pop up appears again. In a previous Apple community discussion thread (Previewing songs in iTunes Store - Apple Community), an answer appears directing us to step 2 of this Apple support page (Buy or download music from the iTunes Store in Music on Mac - Apple Support). The Apple support page says, in step 2, that it is possible to preview music. But that is not my experience. I follow the directions precisely on the Apple support page, but all that happens is that no music plays, only the pop-up.

After further research, I read that only the "itunes store app" allows preview of songs. But the itunes app is only available for IOS, not Mac computer. But the Apple support page, for Monterey and Ventura specifically says the the Music app for Mac computer allows for song preview. In any case, the Music app is not allowing me to preview songs anymore. I'm not going to sign up for Apple music, and if I can't preview songs, I won't be purchasing music from Apple anymore.

Does iTunes store allow preview of songs anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.