Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more custom folder icons on FAT32 and exFAT

I noticed that when trying to set a custom folder icon in macOS Ventura by dragging an image to the small icon in the Finder info panel, this doesn't work anymore for FAT32 and exFAT USB sticks. The folder icon doesn't change and instead a file named "Icon?" is created inside it. A stick formatted with APFS works. Is this a bug, or are these volume formats not supported anymore?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 3:52 PM

Thanks, but did you also try on a subfolder?

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 13, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Nickkk_

Nickkk_ wrote:

I noticed that when trying to set a custom folder icon in macOS Ventura by dragging an image to the small icon in the Finder info panel, this doesn't work anymore for FAT32 and exFAT USB sticks. The folder icon doesn't change and instead a file named "Icon?" is created inside it. A stick formatted with APFS works. Is this a bug, or are these volume formats not supported anymore?

There are reports of losing custom icons yes...

If Command A for selecting all, and then copy & paste does not work as expected,

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 13, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Nickkk_

On Ventura 13.0.1, I just selected a random file.icns icon and copied it to the clipboard. Then I performed a Get Info on a FAT32 formatted USB stick mounted on my Desktop. Selecting its icon on that Get Info panel, I then pasted the .icns image. This changed the FAT32 drive icon and it survived an eject and remounting.

If you have an exactly 512x512 image, Apple's Prevew will (option key > export…) allow you to export it to an .icns icon image.

No more custom folder icons on FAT32 and exFAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.