Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Library Remove Duplicate Photos

Currently running 16.1.1 on my spouses device and mine. We created a shared library and we have insane amounts of duplicate photos. I have been waiting for the duplicates Utility folder to show up, and I’m convinced it’s not going to.

Has anyone with a shared library have luck removing duplicates?

Thanks!

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 11:29 PM

The duplicate detection will only start, when the iCloud syncing is complete and all photos have been scanned for objects, as far as I can tell from the syncing of my devices.

For my library, with roughly 55000 photos it took more than two weeks for the duplicates album to appear. At that time the shared library only contained two photos.

Then I shared 7200 photos from my library to the shared library, three days ago, and I am seeing different things on the devices and accounts with my main iCloud Apple ID and with a different Apple ID. I am sharing the shared library with myself, between my iCloud AppleID and my Media and Purchases AppleID. I am using the second iCloud Photos Library as a backup of my iCloud Photos Library.

• On the devices and user accounts with my main iCloud Apple ID (iPad, iPhone, three Macs) the shared photos have been removed from my personal library and moved to the Shared Library. The total number of photos remained the same, no new duplicates, only on the Mac with macOS 10.14 Mojave I can no longer see the photos moved to the Shared library, as is to be expected. On one Mac with Ventura the moving of Photos from the personal library to the shared library is still in progress.
  • On the Macs, where I am using my Media and Purchases AppleID for iCloud in a second Apple ID(two Macs with Ventura), the shared photos have not yet finished to download to the Photos Library. The total number of photos has been increased considerably, when viewing the shared library and the personal library together, at and the shared duplicates are (not yet) appearing in the Duplicates album, only a few older duplicates are still shown. I expect, I have to wait again for the download from iCloud to finish and then the scanning for the object recognition to complete, before duplicates can be shown.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 11:29 PM in response to JVasta

The duplicate detection will only start, when the iCloud syncing is complete and all photos have been scanned for objects, as far as I can tell from the syncing of my devices.

For my library, with roughly 55000 photos it took more than two weeks for the duplicates album to appear. At that time the shared library only contained two photos.

Then I shared 7200 photos from my library to the shared library, three days ago, and I am seeing different things on the devices and accounts with my main iCloud Apple ID and with a different Apple ID. I am sharing the shared library with myself, between my iCloud AppleID and my Media and Purchases AppleID. I am using the second iCloud Photos Library as a backup of my iCloud Photos Library.

• On the devices and user accounts with my main iCloud Apple ID (iPad, iPhone, three Macs) the shared photos have been removed from my personal library and moved to the Shared Library. The total number of photos remained the same, no new duplicates, only on the Mac with macOS 10.14 Mojave I can no longer see the photos moved to the Shared library, as is to be expected. On one Mac with Ventura the moving of Photos from the personal library to the shared library is still in progress.
  • On the Macs, where I am using my Media and Purchases AppleID for iCloud in a second Apple ID(two Macs with Ventura), the shared photos have not yet finished to download to the Photos Library. The total number of photos has been increased considerably, when viewing the shared library and the personal library together, at and the shared duplicates are (not yet) appearing in the Duplicates album, only a few older duplicates are still shown. I expect, I have to wait again for the download from iCloud to finish and then the scanning for the object recognition to complete, before duplicates can be shown.

Nov 12, 2022 6:38 PM in response to GU3R086

GU3R086 Said:

"Shared Library Remove Duplicate Photos: [...]Has anyone with a shared library have luck removing duplicates? Thanks!"

-------

Troubleshooting Deplete Photos:

Some Apps to Try:

Always Have a Time Machine Backup:

• Important: Today,, Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac(s), so that you can have something to restore your Mac(s) from, should anything go wrong with this.
  • Go here: Back up the Library in Photos on Mac so that all stays safe for in an external source

Nov 23, 2022 9:39 AM in response to GU3R086

I am having the same issue. I had a ton of duplicates in my personal library, due to scanning in 25,000+ old photos (many of them ended up being scanned twice). Apple photos told me I had like 2,000+ duplicates but thought I'd look into it later.

I combined my wife's library and mine together, but now it won't show the duplicates... it won't even show me the 2,000+ duplicates in my own personal library.

My guess is: Apple knows the divorce rate and realizes people will want to delete the shared album and go back to their personal library. If they delete the "duplicate" then who gets the photo when y'all split? They either had to make it an irreversible change, or all duplicates stay duplicates...

Shared Library Remove Duplicate Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.