Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacbookPro battery draining while lid is closed

I have a new Macbook Pro about a week old. I open the lid in the morning and the battery has lost half it power overnight. Turns out it wakes up regularly through the night, like every 15 minutes. The fans blow full blast for a while, maybe for a minute. Then it goes back to sleep. Is this normal? Any way I can force it to not wake up when the lid is closed? Because at this rate in 24 hours the battery would be drained.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 9:37 AM

That doesn't strike me as normal Gnarlodious. Definitely contact Apple and ask about it, especially since your Mac is new and support for new Macs is free.

Apple will undoubtedly have you perform some fundamental steps such as turning it off and turning it on again with the power adapter connected so you might as well try that first. Also, make sure macOS is up to date: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. You should not have to put up with what's happening. It's not right.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Gnarlodious

That doesn't strike me as normal Gnarlodious. Definitely contact Apple and ask about it, especially since your Mac is new and support for new Macs is free.

Apple will undoubtedly have you perform some fundamental steps such as turning it off and turning it on again with the power adapter connected so you might as well try that first. Also, make sure macOS is up to date: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. You should not have to put up with what's happening. It's not right.

Nov 17, 2022 2:29 AM in response to Gnarlodious

That's an important detail. That Mac's specifications indicate an operating temperature of 50° to 95° F.

It is entirely possible the Mac is attempting to keep itself within that range by waking up periodically... and lacking its own source of heating fuel, a battery is its only heat source.

Its minimum storage temperature is much lower than that and goes well below zero, but "storage" means it is not in any operational mode, including sleep. It's off. A Mac that has been powered down has no ability to wake itself.

Yes I'd still contact Apple but don't be surprised if this is in fact intelligent programming, and working as designed. Even silicon based life needs to keep from freezing to death. I'd either keep it plugged in or powered down completely.

Nov 13, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Gnarlodious

Well my MacBook certainly isn't new, and I'm still running Mojave, as I'm so use to it that it just makes sense not to, but if I leave my MacBook Pro at 100% prior to heading to bed, by morning I'm at about 68%, with no applications running. So, there is a drain somewhere, but I just plug it in and I tend to leave it plugged in while using often now, so it stays charged when I leave it for the day. Not a big deal for me, but for someone needing it for the rest of the day, mine runs down somewhat quickly. Perhaps it's the battery, as I'm on battery 3 since it was new, still working fine, but my lifestyle allows me to plug in whenever needed thankfully.

Nov 16, 2022 8:21 PM in response to John Galt

I will do that, however after extensive testing I have decided it is a bug.

If an HDMI display is plugged in, and the Power Adapter is plugged in, while the lid is closed, when the interior of the Macbook hits 32ºF, the fans will come on full blast. This means they will never go off, since cold air is being pulled through the machine. I suspect it is simply negligent programming.

If I turn off the Power Adapter (unplug it), under the same conditions the computer will wake up maybe every 15 minutes, and the fans will blow full blast for maybe 30 seconds, then it will go back to sleep.

I did leave the Macbook alone, unplugged without opening the lid for 3 days, and the battery was depleted to 2%. As far as I am concerned this is a defect and unacceptable. I have brought it inside and am now charging it.

New MacbookPro battery draining while lid is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.