Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to configure ethernet - Ventura 13.0.1 M1 Mac Mini

Per the title, ethernet doesn't work straight out of the box with my Mini. I've tried lots of suggested fixes without success. I'm not tech-savvy, so the network settings are arcane to me. I would be grateful for suggestions.

I'm trying to connect using a Gigabit cable from my wi-fi router. I have a 100 Gbps Comcast account. Wi-Fi works fine, and with System Settings > Network shows the ethernet connection green (working). If I disable wi-fi and enable ethernet, there's no connection.

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 7:18 AM

Hello runbei,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about issues with the Mac mini and ethernet.

Start here please: Set up a connection to the internet on Mac - Apple Support

It leads you to one of these, most likely the first one. Also, check with multiple ports off the modem or router, and check with multiple ethernet cables, just in case that's the issue.

1 . Connect your Mac to the internet using Ethernet - Apple Support

2 . Connect your Mac to the internet using a cable modem - Apple Support

You will need to turn off Wi-Fi, and connect with the ethernet. Then, try setting up a new Network Location. System Settings > Network > then the dots and down arrow ...v Bottom right of the window.

Add a new ethernet location, and delete the other one: Change Network settings on Mac - Apple Support

If it still doesn't work, check what your ethernet card says in System Settings > Search for ethernet > ethernet ID > Hardware. We don't need the numbers, but we do need to know if it's connected, has a MAC address, is configured Automatically, is reading speeds, Duplex, and MTU. If anything is wrong or says service, has caution or alert symbols, we need to know so we can check if there is a hardware issue.

Since it's new out of the box, if there are hardware issues, you might want to make an appointment to the Apple Store near you to have it tested. But please ensure you try with multiple ethernet cables, as they can break easily, and also it's been known to have modem and router ports go bad, so try in different ports on those also prior to taking the computer in.

Thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 7:18 AM in response to runbei

Hello runbei,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about issues with the Mac mini and ethernet.

Start here please: Set up a connection to the internet on Mac - Apple Support

It leads you to one of these, most likely the first one. Also, check with multiple ports off the modem or router, and check with multiple ethernet cables, just in case that's the issue.

1 . Connect your Mac to the internet using Ethernet - Apple Support

2 . Connect your Mac to the internet using a cable modem - Apple Support

You will need to turn off Wi-Fi, and connect with the ethernet. Then, try setting up a new Network Location. System Settings > Network > then the dots and down arrow ...v Bottom right of the window.

Add a new ethernet location, and delete the other one: Change Network settings on Mac - Apple Support

If it still doesn't work, check what your ethernet card says in System Settings > Search for ethernet > ethernet ID > Hardware. We don't need the numbers, but we do need to know if it's connected, has a MAC address, is configured Automatically, is reading speeds, Duplex, and MTU. If anything is wrong or says service, has caution or alert symbols, we need to know so we can check if there is a hardware issue.

Since it's new out of the box, if there are hardware issues, you might want to make an appointment to the Apple Store near you to have it tested. But please ensure you try with multiple ethernet cables, as they can break easily, and also it's been known to have modem and router ports go bad, so try in different ports on those also prior to taking the computer in.

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2022 7:53 AM in response to runbei

Eric, this is hugely helpful, and I'm going to copy it to a doc for my fix-it folder. Many thanks!

In my case, the answer turned out to be that the Mini was being blocked in my router's security configuration. The solution was to log into the Netgear router maintenance utility and find the problem under "Devices that are blocked and not connected" (approximate wording) and click "George's Mac Mini" and choose Allow.

Whew! - I was ready to downgrade Ventura; so happy that it won't be necessary.

Unable to configure ethernet - Ventura 13.0.1 M1 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.