Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and iPad email opening very slow

Why do some emails take around a minute to open on my iPhone and iPad? Opening the same emails on my Windows PC with Outlook 365 open instantly. All these devices are connected to the home Wi-Fi network. I have the same problem when connected to any wi-fi network.

I have found that if I turn off the Wi-Fi connection on the iPhone leaving only mobile data connected, then the same emails will open instantly. This problem only occurs with all emails sent from the same individual senders. I spotted this problem about 6 months ago.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 5:36 PM

Hi Les259,

Even though your PC connected to the same Wi-Fi network opens the email instantly, it could be a setting between the iPad, iPhone and Router causing the delay. This resource covers the the suggested settings for routers and your devices: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If you use a VPN with the iPad and iPhone, you should try opening the emails without it running, to rule that out as a possible cause.

We also recommend restarting your devices and keeping them updated as those steps assure you have cleared out any minor software issues and are running the most current version.

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you still have questions, reach out to Apple Support directly, as this may require closer guidance: : Get Support

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 5:36 PM in response to Les259

Hi Les259,

Even though your PC connected to the same Wi-Fi network opens the email instantly, it could be a setting between the iPad, iPhone and Router causing the delay. This resource covers the the suggested settings for routers and your devices: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If you use a VPN with the iPad and iPhone, you should try opening the emails without it running, to rule that out as a possible cause.

We also recommend restarting your devices and keeping them updated as those steps assure you have cleared out any minor software issues and are running the most current version.

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you still have questions, reach out to Apple Support directly, as this may require closer guidance: : Get Support

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2022 10:05 AM in response to Les259

Hey Les259,

You mentioned that the speed is isolated to the Mail app and specific senders. We'd like to have you check to see if Mail Privacy Protection is enabled on your iPhone and iPad. If it is, please test with this feature disabled:

1. Go to Settings > Mail > Privacy Protection.
  2. Turn off Protect Mail Activity.

"Mail Privacy Protection hides your IP address so senders can’t link it to your other online activity or determine your exact location. It also prevents senders from seeing if you’ve opened the email they sent you."

Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPhone - Apple Support

Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad - Apple Support

Let us know what you find!

Nov 18, 2022 1:44 AM in response to Lager1

Hi Larger1

Thanks for you guidance. I have checked all the setting for my Wi-Fi router which is the Netgear Orbi 600 Mesh system and they all are the same as the Apple Support info with the exception of the security setting which is set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]". It does not have WPA3.

I have rebooted the EE Broadband Modem, All Orbi Mesh routers and mobile devices and the problem has not gone away. I appears to be just certain email domains that I am have a problem with, for example "@emails.nectar.com", "@emails.nationaltrust.org.uk" and "'hello.britishnewspaperarchive.com" are some example of the emails senders that take about a minute to open on my iPhone and iPad. If I turn off the wi-fi connection on these devices and just leave mobile data connected, the same emails open instantly. This indicates to me that there is not a problem with the mail server.

Any help would be appreciated. Do let me know if you need any further information.

Nov 19, 2022 2:26 AM in response to bbesspete

Hi bbesspete

I checked both my iPhone and iPad and the Mail Privacy Protection was enabled. One at a time I switch this off on each device and tried to open the some of the emails that are slow to open. Sadly I have to say it did not make any difference on either device.

By the way, I also tried turning off the firewall on my router and rebooting devices and routers etc. and once again it did not clear the fault.

Thanks for trying to help resolve this issues.

iPhone and iPad email opening very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.