Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are emails so slow on my ipad?

I use a MacBook, an iPad and an iPhone. Emails consistently take longer to appear on my iPad than on the other two devices. My wife has an iPhone and an iPad on the same Apple account and she finds the same thing happens with the emails sent to her iPad .

I wondered whether it might be a problem with the MacMail App on my iPad, so I downloaded Outlook but the same thing happens with that - emails do not appear on my iPad until long after they have appeared on my MacBook and iPhone.

I have tried deleting and adding the email accounts. That didn't help.

Anyone out there got any ideas?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:44 AM

Your Mail settings will have significant influence upon how often your email will be retrieved from your mail server. There are several setting that influence the frequency of email message retrieval.

From your description, it is possible to infer that your mail provider does not provide “push” mail - and instead your email is “fetched” by your mail client. For iPad, you have a choice of settings:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data

Automatically

When set to Automatically, your iPad will only attempt to automatically retrieve email when the iPad is connected to its Power Adapter. This setting is power-efficient, in that email is only retrieved on-demand - or if external power is available to the iPad.

Manually

When set to Manually, the iPad will only retrieve Mail from the mail server when the Mail App is accessed - or manually refreshed (a downward finger-swipe gesture within the selected mailbox).

Hourly/Every 30 minutes/Every 15 minutes

With any of these settings, the iPad will retrieve email to a fixed schedule.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 5:44 AM in response to rogercorke

Your Mail settings will have significant influence upon how often your email will be retrieved from your mail server. There are several setting that influence the frequency of email message retrieval.

From your description, it is possible to infer that your mail provider does not provide “push” mail - and instead your email is “fetched” by your mail client. For iPad, you have a choice of settings:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data

Automatically

When set to Automatically, your iPad will only attempt to automatically retrieve email when the iPad is connected to its Power Adapter. This setting is power-efficient, in that email is only retrieved on-demand - or if external power is available to the iPad.

Manually

When set to Manually, the iPad will only retrieve Mail from the mail server when the Mail App is accessed - or manually refreshed (a downward finger-swipe gesture within the selected mailbox).

Hourly/Every 30 minutes/Every 15 minutes

With any of these settings, the iPad will retrieve email to a fixed schedule.

Why are emails so slow on my ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.