Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Apple News App for MacOS from Opening New Windows

I've searched everywhere and have not found any solutions, but wanted to ask here before submitting a change request to Apple.

I use the MacOS version of Apple News extensively, since it's so much easier to read than on an iPhone. But every time I open a story from the App, it opens a new window instead of opening the story inline inside the News App itself. It's very annoying and disrupts the ability to use the "go back" metaphor for reading that has been a browser standard since Mosaic employed backwards and forwards buttons in the early 1990s.

Has anyone found a way to force News to open stories inside the existing News App main window? I'd like it to work the same way it does on iOS, where it does open inline and allows use of the back arrow. Otherwise, I'll request a change from Apple, but I doubt they'll consider it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 10:45 PM

The behaviour you're seeing isn't what I'm seeing ie articles aren't opening in a new window and there is a back button. Try using Safe Mode and see if it helps, then start in normal mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (AU)

1 reply

Stop Apple News App for MacOS from Opening New Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.