Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes slow to update and lags when typing

Searches I've done show this has been a problem for a while. It continues to be an issue for me on my 2015 MacBook Pro, iPhone 11, and 10.5" iPad Pro, so I doubt that it's a device-specific issue. I've always assumed it was some kind of network / cloud issue (I don't recall if it's a problem on my M1 Mac mini)

As well, Notes takes a long time to update any changes on any of my devices. I find quitting Notes speeds up the updating.

I use Notes a lot for work so I have a fair number of notes

Anyone else having these issues?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 8:39 PM

6 replies

Nov 17, 2022 2:29 AM in response to brendanfromburnaby

Running 2 Apple Silicon M Class computers both upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey and now on Ventura 13.0.1, 1 Ancient 2011 Mac Mini stuck on High Sierra 10.13.6 and 1 iPhone 14 with iOS 16.1.1.

All above devices are using iCloud Only for syncing purposes

All units sync almost immediately back and forth but then again, my usage may not compare as there are about 50 - 75 Notes in use and all pure Text Only Notes without an Images etc.

You may try UnTicking the Notes in Inert Accounts >> iCloud on one machine. Then restart the machine and Test.

Still have an issue, on that same machine sign Out of iCloud and restart. Sign back into iCloud and test again.

The two above steps are an attempt to Force a Re-Sync

Aside - an VPN involved and any or all of the devices ? Any AV Software also involved ?

Nov 17, 2022 10:43 AM in response to PRP_53

Checked Notes on my M1 Mac mini - working ok, updates are reasonably quick and there's no typing delay. MacBook Pro typing is responsive atm. iPhone 11 typing was lagging but now it's not.

All machines - right now updates take 5-7 seconds using home wifi (or cel data on iPhone).

I have about 300 notes, some of them are fairly long, some pics and pdfs.

Not using a VPN.

I've tried signing out of iCloud at various times on all these devices and it didn't make any difference.

Have not done safe mode yet. Will try that and do other testing today.

Dec 11, 2022 11:42 AM in response to brendanfromburnaby

I have tried moving all tables created on Apple Notes to Numbers app; then deleted them on the Notes app.

This has solved my typing/scrolling lag on the app. I think it does not play nice with big informative tables.

Also I’m migrating to Bear ☺️ because of the [[wiki-links]] and tags hierarchy system. And because it is in Markdown language; it is extremely fast and responsive

Notes slow to update and lags when typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.