You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar not functioning properly after update to MacOS Ventura.

Whenever I try to select emojis, activate Siri, or start dictation typing from the Touch Bar nothing happens; the emoji picker doesn't open, Siri does not pop-up, dictation does not start. I first encountered this issue after the update to MacOS 13.0.1 Ventura and is fixed by restarting my Mac. I've noticed it mostly occurs the next day after I leave my Mac sleeping overnight.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 9:53 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2022 9:34 AM in response to Angel_815

Hello Angel_815,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help get the Touch Bar working as expected on your Mac again.

Use these steps to test if the Function keys work as expected, to help us isolate the issue:

"Function keys

Many macOS keyboard shortcuts use function keys (F1 through F12)—for example, F11 shows the desktop. On a Mac with a Touch Bar, function keys are shown in the Touch Bar.

1. To show the function keys in the Touch Bar, press and hold the Fn key or the Globe key  (depending on your Mac model) on the keyboard.

Make sure to customize the Touch Bar in Keyboard settings so the function keys are shown when you press and hold the key.

2. Tap a function key.

If a keyboard shortcut includes a modifier key, such as Option or Command, press and hold Fn or the Globe keywith the modifier key. For example, to use Control-F3 to move to the Dock, press and hold Fn or the Globe key and the Control key together, then tap F3 in the Touch Bar.

See the Apple Support article Use the function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Use the Touch Bar on Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues after a restart since you're using the latest macOS version, please reach out to an Apple Support Advisor for further assistance: Get Support

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2022 9:02 AM in response to Angel_815

Hello Angel_815,

Thanks for updating us with this information, and clarifying which options appear to be working.

Let's run an Apple Diagnostics test on your Mac to see if any information is reported regarding the hardware of your MacBook Pro. For assistance with that, check out the steps below to get started with this, and you can find more details here: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon

1. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button as your Mac starts up.

2. Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labeled Options.

3. Press Command (⌘)-D on your keyboard.

If you see that service is needed, you can contact Apple Support directly to assist with this. In addition, let us know if this occurs in a test user account to see if this is isolated. For assistance with adding a user account to test with, check out this resource: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

M1 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar not functioning properly after update to MacOS Ventura.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.