Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My sends you a message once your stolen iPhone gets switched on?

Hi community! I got my phone stolen a few weeks ago. It had findMY activated, but as soon as it got stolen they put airplane mode on, hence I was not able to locate it.

I just got a message presumably from FindMy saying that my iPhone was found and turned on. There’s a link to view the location.

Question is: is this a scam or is it normal procedure to get a text from FindMy once your stolen iPhone gets switched on?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 5:49 PM

SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

Beware of a common phishing scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 5:49 PM in response to annalu90

SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

Beware of a common phishing scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Nov 17, 2022 5:56 PM in response to Skydiver119

Skydiver119 wrote:

Then you may never know. No one can tell you if that is a legit email or not so it’d be your decision whether or not you tap on the link. Personally I’d play it safe and ignore it. If you blocked it from your devices then I don’t know if you’d still get a text or not.

It is DEFINITELY not a legitimate email. Apple never gets involved in lost/stolen devices. That’s a great post in the WC about this. Here’s a link for you personally: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254301855

Find My sends you a message once your stolen iPhone gets switched on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.