Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble adding an m4r file under "Tones" in iTunes (using a Windows Computer)

Hi. I want to add a custom ringtone to my phone by adding it manually to Tones in iTunes while my phone is connected to the computer.

I've followed the typical procedure for this method in that I converted some MP3 files into AAC files. Then, I copied them into my file explorer and converted them from M4A files to M4R files.

Next, I connected my iPhone to the computer to sync with iTunes. But in dragging the M4R files into Tones (under my device) nothing really happens. You see an "uploading files" action happening above, but no file actually appears here. It doesn't appear in "Ringtones" on my phone either. It does the same thing when I copy-paste via keyboard shortcut (Ctrl C/V) and when manually pasting it in via the Edit tab.

Really weird it's not working because I had no problem with this years ago on an iPhone 4S. Appreciate any advice you may have here.

Other stuff: I know about the GarageBand method, but it clips the audio I have when putting it in; I'd like to have the full audio clip (39s). If anyone knows a way to do that, let me know. The ones I'm uploading above are ~20s each. From what I've done before and see on online guides, the max time allowable is 40s — not sure if this changed or not. But if it worked before for me, I don't see why that time allotment won't last now.

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 1:32 AM

Upload the file to iCloud Drive.

Yes, if you have GarageBand, Transfer the songs from the Files app to GarageBand then --> GarageBand: Share songs to iTunes - Apple Support or Import a song from the Music app into GarageBand for iPhone ...

Here you have the process!

My GarageBand opens my iCloud Drive. In your case, it may not be so. Nevertheless, the process remains the same. This helps because accidentally if you open up iCloud Drive using GarageBand you can get back to GarageBand.

Music must be on your iPhone not on iCloud Library.

When you select the song Hold and tap the Song delicately for it to populate it in Audio Recorder.

Watch the GIF below to convert any music to RingTone

This is made on iOS 13.3.1 iPhone SE

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 1:32 AM in response to FKAZE

Upload the file to iCloud Drive.

Yes, if you have GarageBand, Transfer the songs from the Files app to GarageBand then --> GarageBand: Share songs to iTunes - Apple Support or Import a song from the Music app into GarageBand for iPhone ...

Here you have the process!

My GarageBand opens my iCloud Drive. In your case, it may not be so. Nevertheless, the process remains the same. This helps because accidentally if you open up iCloud Drive using GarageBand you can get back to GarageBand.

Music must be on your iPhone not on iCloud Library.

When you select the song Hold and tap the Song delicately for it to populate it in Audio Recorder.

Watch the GIF below to convert any music to RingTone

This is made on iOS 13.3.1 iPhone SE

Trouble adding an m4r file under "Tones" in iTunes (using a Windows Computer)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.