Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk email not appearing on iPhone

Junk emails go to my Junk folder on the Mac, but do not appear anywhere on the iPhone. The only emails in the iPhone Junk folder are those I have moved there manually. Sometimes Mail sends a non-junk email to Junk on the Mac, but since it vanishes into cyberspace on the iPhone, I often don't see it until much later. How can I get junk to appear in the Junk folder? Phone is an XR, iOS 16

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 7:58 AM

Hi woollymammoth,

The type of account is usually indicated on the mail server settings website from your email provider.

As you mentioned, the menus are different for iPhone to select the same options. Make sure you've configured according to your email provider and the manual setup steps show here:

Enter account settings manually 
If Mail can't find your email settings, then you need to enter them manually. Tap Next, then follow these steps:

1. Choose IMAP or POP for your new account. If you aren’t sure which one to choose, contact your email provider.
2. Enter the information for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. Then tap Next. If you don't have this information, try to look it up.
iPhone showing how to enter account settings manually

3. If your email settings are correct, tap Save to finish. If the email settings are incorrect, you'll be asked to edit them. 

If you still can't set up your email account or save your email settings, contact your email provider.

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

While not comprehensive, there is a lookup tool that might find your account settings, but your mail provider will also have them listed on their support site:

Mail - Official Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 7:58 AM in response to woollymammoth

Hi woollymammoth,

The type of account is usually indicated on the mail server settings website from your email provider.

As you mentioned, the menus are different for iPhone to select the same options. Make sure you've configured according to your email provider and the manual setup steps show here:

Enter account settings manually 
If Mail can't find your email settings, then you need to enter them manually. Tap Next, then follow these steps:

1. Choose IMAP or POP for your new account. If you aren’t sure which one to choose, contact your email provider.
2. Enter the information for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server. Then tap Next. If you don't have this information, try to look it up.
iPhone showing how to enter account settings manually

3. If your email settings are correct, tap Save to finish. If the email settings are incorrect, you'll be asked to edit them. 

If you still can't set up your email account or save your email settings, contact your email provider.

While not comprehensive, there is a lookup tool that might find your account settings, but your mail provider will also have them listed on their support site:

Mail - Official Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 23, 2022 11:21 AM in response to woollymammoth

Greetings woollymammoth,

Thank yo ufor confirming the email is a POP account. The experience you're facing is likely expected behavior for POP email accounts. Email providers can offer IMAP settings as well which may be verified via the link we previously shared. If you're unable to locate IMAP settings for your email, you can contact your email provider to see if IMAP settings are available. If so, you can then sign out of the email on your Mac and iPhone, then sign in using the IMAP Settings. The settings for setting up your email manually with IMAP Settings on iPhone are listed below and found in the following article.

1. "Choose IMAP or POP for your new account. If you aren’t sure which one to choose, contact your email provider.
  3. If your email settings are correct, tap Save to finish. If the email settings are incorrect, you'll be asked to edit them."

You can find the steps for signing in on Mac via the article below.

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Take care!

Nov 20, 2022 6:23 PM in response to woollymammoth

Hello woollymammoth,

We would like to see how we can help you with your Junk folder not working as expected. Does this happen with one email account or multiple email accounts? Is the email an IMAP or POP account? Check out this link for help determining if it is an IMAP or POP account: Change Server Settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If it is a POP account, them the email account would be working as intended.

Cheers!

Nov 23, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Rigo_O86

My email account has been set up and working for months, I do not need to set it up. It is a POP account. The account works fine with the exception of emails Apple Mail thinks are Junk. These vanish into cyberspace and never appear on my phone, although they do appear on my Mac in the Junk folder. All I want to do is get the Junk emails to show up in the Junk folder on my phone because more often than not the so-called junk emails are not really junk, but emails I want to receive.

Junk email not appearing on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.