Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove time machine backup from disk

Hi I just set up a new larger external hard drive for my time machine backup. I would still like to use the former disk for other storage. How do I remove this from the time machine setting and properly erase the disk? I tried removing the disk and erasing under disk utility but came up with an error message, likely the time machine formatting restricting this in a safety feature. Thank you in advance for any help fixing this.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 10:02 AM

BHE19 wrote:

Hi I just set up a new larger external hard drive for my time machine backup. I would still like to use the former disk for other storage. How do I remove this from the time machine setting and properly erase the disk? I tried removing the disk and erasing under disk utility but came up with an error message, likely the time machine formatting restricting this in a safety feature. Thank you in advance for any help fixing this.

hmmm...

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve see about removing the old or re-select your current BU drive...

not sure if you can delete from the list..

see this reference:

"Remove a backup disk: Click the Remove button , then ..."

"Remove a backup disk: Click the Remove button then click Forget Destination."

Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 10:02 AM in response to BHE19

BHE19 wrote:

hmmm...

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve see about removing the old or re-select your current BU drive...

not sure if you can delete from the list..

see this reference:

"Remove a backup disk: Click the Remove button , then ..."

"Remove a backup disk: Click the Remove button then click Forget Destination."

Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support

remove time machine backup from disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.