Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail rules don’t run on iphone

I have mail rules setup on my iMac. Which run just fine.

However none of those rules run when using mail on my iPhone.

Both devices are kept in sync and always run the latest OS.

Is there a setting I’m missing within mail to share the rules?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 5:13 AM

There are two types of Rules.

1. server-side
  2. client-only  

If the rule set is on the server side then even if you are not logged into your email account, the rules will be applied to the email immediately.

But if the rule is set on the client side on a Mac then the rule will be activated only when the Mail app is open and is online on the Mac.

This is truly based on the conditions and actions you apply to them.

• iCloud / Gmail only has a Client-side rule option
  • Outlook / Exchange has both options, Server and Client side rules can be set

You cannot set a rule on an iPhone. It will follow the rules set on server or at the client end.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 5:13 AM in response to keyaspects

There are two types of Rules.

1. server-side
  2. client-only  

If the rule set is on the server side then even if you are not logged into your email account, the rules will be applied to the email immediately.

But if the rule is set on the client side on a Mac then the rule will be activated only when the Mail app is open and is online on the Mac.

This is truly based on the conditions and actions you apply to them.

• iCloud / Gmail only has a Client-side rule option
  • Outlook / Exchange has both options, Server and Client side rules can be set

You cannot set a rule on an iPhone. It will follow the rules set on server or at the client end.

Nov 23, 2022 5:23 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks

But the rules on the iPhone are not being followed from those being set on the client or server end. That was my initial issue

The folders are there. To which the rules are suppose to move messages to. But the messages don't move. So when using my iPhone all the messages stay in the main inbox. However when using the Mail application on my Mac the rules do apply and the messages move to the set folders.

mail rules don’t run on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.