Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use migration assistant to get old emails from time machine

How do I migrate old emails from time machine to my mac book pro?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 1:42 PM

Old emails will only transfer if they were "on my mac" at the time of the Time Machine backup.

IMAP, Exchange mailboxes that were listed at your email address are not stored on the Mac, thus do not get backed up to your Time Machine backup, and your email address company yourname@companyemailname may have backups they can recover and put back into your inbox.

Time Machine will recover stuff that gets stored as user data in your Users -> yourname folder, when you migrate that user to the new migration destination.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 1:42 PM in response to checkers 23

Old emails will only transfer if they were "on my mac" at the time of the Time Machine backup.

IMAP, Exchange mailboxes that were listed at your email address are not stored on the Mac, thus do not get backed up to your Time Machine backup, and your email address company yourname@companyemailname may have backups they can recover and put back into your inbox.

Time Machine will recover stuff that gets stored as user data in your Users -> yourname folder, when you migrate that user to the new migration destination.

can I use migration assistant to get old emails from time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.