Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Password Doesn't Work for all Devices

I'm running BigSur, 11.7 on an iMac. I changed my password then forced sign out of all devices. I had to enter the new password into my iPad and iPhone ... and received notice from Apple that my "Apple ID information has been updated." I shutdown my iMac then turned it back on. I entered the new password, but my computer didn't accept it. The old password was still effective. I did this twice yet have been unable to change the password on my iMac.

Any ideas on why the password will not update on my Mac?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 2:14 AM

PCK1117 wrote:

I'm running BigSur, 11.7 on an iMac. I changed my password then forced sign out of all devices. I had to enter the new password into my iPad and iPhone ... and received notice from Apple that my "1 - Apple ID information has been updated." I shutdown my iMac then turned it back on. 2 - I entered the new password, but my computer didn't accept it. The old password was still effective. I did this twice yet have been unable to change the password on my iMac.

Thanks

The is an Apple ID Password that is connected to and including in how you Log into My Apple ID and how the user Logs into this Site to Post this question.

Then there are Device Passwords or Passcodes for iDevices that work independent from the Apple ID Password

If the User whats to change the Device Password and specific to Apple Computers

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Shutdown the computer 

1A - Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

2A - Done attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause before moving forwards

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 2:14 AM in response to PCK1117

PCK1117 wrote:

I'm running BigSur, 11.7 on an iMac. I changed my password then forced sign out of all devices. I had to enter the new password into my iPad and iPhone ... and received notice from Apple that my "1 - Apple ID information has been updated." I shutdown my iMac then turned it back on. 2 - I entered the new password, but my computer didn't accept it. The old password was still effective. I did this twice yet have been unable to change the password on my iMac.

Thanks

The is an Apple ID Password that is connected to and including in how you Log into My Apple ID and how the user Logs into this Site to Post this question.

Then there are Device Passwords or Passcodes for iDevices that work independent from the Apple ID Password

If the User whats to change the Device Password and specific to Apple Computers

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Shutdown the computer 

1A - Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

2A - Done attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause before moving forwards

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Changing Password Doesn't Work for all Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.