Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SD Card reader is not working.

After updating into IOS 16.1, Apple SD card reader is not showing neither in Photos nor in Files. But my iPhone which is 11 pro 256 GB is detecting the SD card reader in the About section of the settings. I am a photographer. This is very important for me to work. Please help !

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 2:01 PM

I'm having the same problem, however, there still is not a "no name" option for me when I go to the browsing option. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm getting pretty frustrated.

50 replies

Jan 2, 2023 3:44 PM in response to arafatjawad

Hello, frustrated friend.  Because Apple's SD card reader doesn't have a how-to manual, even their technicians claim that their product is no longer compatible with the iOS 16 firmware.

After a frustrating week, I found out they all work fine.  First, since your iPhone doesn't recognize the card reader, don't bother looking for the words "Import" that appear in the bottom-right corner of your phone's screen.

Here is how it works: insert the SD card into the reader > plug the device card reader into the iPhone > click on the “FILES” app > click on iCloud Drive’s “Browse” > click on Browse’s “No Name”  > now you can view your files from your SD card on “No name”.

Sep 13, 2023 3:15 PM in response to DrummerJMS

After hours of frustration, I found a fix - at least for my iPhone 13 running iOS 16.6.1. I put the card in the reader and then plugged the reader into the phone. I opened the Photos app and then scrolled down to imported photos. At that point, the import option for the reader became available on the bottom right. I was then able to import photos from the card reader to the Photos app.

Jan 2, 2023 3:47 PM in response to TrisIxta

Hello, frustrated friend.  Because Apple's SD card reader doesn't have a how-to manual, even their technicians claim that their product is no longer compatible with the iOS 16 firmware.

After a frustrating week, I found out they all work fine.  First, since your iPhone doesn't recognize the card reader, don't bother looking for the words "Import" that appear in the bottom-right corner of your phone's screen.

Here is how it works: insert the SD card into the reader > plug the device card reader into the iPhone > click on the “FILES” app > click on iCloud Drive’s “Browse” > click on Browse’s “No Name”  > now you can view your files from your SD card on “No name”.

Dec 18, 2022 6:00 PM in response to arafatjawad

I had the same problem: my iPhone 12, Ios16.2 after updating ios16 my Apple light sd card reader stopped working. I bought a brand new one through the Apple Store for $29, it still didn't work and the Apple technician informed me a device is not compatible with the new iOS 16.

He informed this issue to Apple Headquarters and refunded me.

I only use this device for transfer photos An’s videos from SD card to iPhone or from iPhone to SD card.

If you have any new solutions please help.

Thanks

Aug 1, 2023 1:30 PM in response to arafatjawad

it worked for me finally after trying to figure it out for a month. everytime i’d try to import them it would say no photos in my photos app and in the file for my camera nothing would show up. all i had to do is go to the files app first and THEN insert my import and have the sd card in already and when your camera file pops up in the browser section you click on it right away and then all the photos should show up. don’t know why it’s like this.

Jan 2, 2023 5:32 PM in response to arafatjawad

Nov 25, 2022 3:25 PM in response to arafatjawad

Hi arafatjawad,

For help with connecting accessories, test the steps found in the article here: Connect external storage devices to iPhone

You can also complete a normal restart of both your iPhone and computer.

Restart your iPhone

If the issue continues, disconnect and check for any signs of accidental damage. If none, reconnect and test again.

If the issue remains, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best.

Aug 15, 2023 10:01 AM in response to arafatjawad

I have the iPhone 14 plus it was working fine the it update to the 16 stuff and now it will not work I called apple support talked to two different people and they tried different things and none of it works my son has the same phone just older software and his still works my husband's 12 pro max has the old software and still works they want me to take it into a store and let them test it there I am sorry but it nothing wrong with the phone it the durn software or why else is my husbands and son working I told them not to update there's yet. They tried looking under the files like everyone else, but it still doesn't work they reset my networks and my phone they even re installed the update it still will not work.

Feb 9, 2023 8:42 PM in response to Rooroo4u

On 16.2. I've had the similar problem with a new MicroSD card, 128GB. I'll plug it in, it works one time, then fails to reconnect. Older cards work fine that I've noticed. There is a workaround I found for the new card. If I plug it in to my MBA's docking station, that resets whatever flag the iPhone uses to read that the card, so it will show up the next time it is plugged in. However, this is an ugly solution that requires connecting a perfectly good card into a computer between uses.

Sep 27, 2023 11:06 AM in response to arafatjawad

Lost all ability to connect to SD Card reader after updating to iOS 16.7

See the thread:

Legacy A1362 SD card adapter stopped bein… - Apple Community

"For years, I successfully used the legacy A1362 SD card adapter (30 pin, Camera Kit) with the legacy 30 pin to Lightning adapter (MD823ZM/A) to move files to and from my iPhone 13 Pro Max or my legacy iPads when I have difficulty with AirDrop.

After upgrading to iOS 16.7, my iPhone 13 Pro Max no longer detects the SD card in its Files app when using the combined legacy adapters. The legacy adapters worked flawlessly with Files on all iOS versions 16.6 and prior.

The legacy adapters still works flawlessly with Files on every legacy iPad.

My iPhone's Files app works flawlessly with the newer Lightning to USB-3 adapter from Apple and with the most recent version of the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (assuming you have a low enough power USB device for the Camera Adpater).

Since it appears impossible to revert to iOS 16.6, does anyone have any ideas on how to get my legacy adapters to be recognized by the Files app on my 13 Pro Max running iOS 16.7?

Thanks in advance"

Feb 1, 2023 5:24 AM in response to arafatjawad

Finally figured out the work around you need a lightning adapter to use > adapter to SD card , i think i bought mine at 4 below or something, yet is long , there is a seller on eBay that does lightning to female usb ( ~$12 ) mini adapter and that is my next buy since i have a usb-c > SD reader and that works great for my iPad , GL and D.B.G.

Apple SD Card reader is not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.