Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when trying to create a bootable device

I have downloaded the El Capitan Installer file from this link.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

The file name downloaded is InstallMacOSX.dmg

I then move it to the applications folder.

Done setting up my bootable USB to MacOS Extended - the device name is Boot

Then I want to key in the command into the terminal.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

However when I paste it in terminal (M1 macboook air) and enter. it showed this error message AFTER i key in my password

sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found
Device name ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Boot --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

I'm really confuse and lost as I followed the command line on the site, hopefully I can get some form of support.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 6:13 AM

Hello!

You cannot drag the DMG file to your Applications folder. You need to open the DMG; within it there will be an installer which will place the app into Applications.

However when I paste it in terminal (M1 macboook air) and enter. it showed this error message AFTER i key in my password

You cannot use a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) to create a bootable installer for OS X El Capitan since that Mac doesn't support it. You need to use an OS X El Capitan supported Mac: OS X El Capitan - Technical Specifications.

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 6:13 AM in response to ultimate89

Hello!

You cannot drag the DMG file to your Applications folder. You need to open the DMG; within it there will be an installer which will place the app into Applications.

You cannot use a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) to create a bootable installer for OS X El Capitan since that Mac doesn't support it. You need to use an OS X El Capitan supported Mac: OS X El Capitan - Technical Specifications.

Jack

Error when trying to create a bootable device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.