You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left shift key not working

I have a MacBook Pro that I purchased in 2017. About a year ago, I had an issue where the left shift key would work intermittently (maybe every fourth use it would work), then it went away after a few days. Then about a week ago the same thing happened again. However, this time it is not going away. On keyboard viewer, it used to register but not actually work in practice (would show up in keyboard viewer that it was being pressed, but didn't actually work while typing). Now, it only shows on keyboard viewer when I use a ton of pressure. Anyone have any ideas? Any chance this is not a structural issue and therefor be fixed at home? I'd really rather not have to bring it in if I don't have to as I'm very busy right now.

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:30 AM

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities KD1721,

Using the Keyboard Viewer to isolate the behavior with your keyboard was a good step to take.

If you're noticing that a key isn't registered unless you apply more physical pressure than you expect to need to, the issue is may be a physical one caused by debris under the key or a physical issue with the key.

The following steps address this specifically:

If your MacBook (2015 and later) or MacBook Pro (2016 and later) has an unresponsive key, or a key that feels different than the other keys when you press it, follow these steps to clean the keyboard with compressed air.

As you follow these steps, remember to use the straw included with the compressed air to control airflow, and keep the end of the straw about a half-inch away from the keyboard as you spray. Also remember to not invert the air can while you're spraying.

1: Hold your Mac notebook at a 75-degree angle, so it's not quite vertical. 
2: Use compressed air to spray the keyboard, or just the affected keys, in a left-to-right motion.

3: Rotate your Mac notebook to its right side and spray the keyboard again, from left to right.

4: Repeat the action, this time with your Mac notebook rotated to its left side.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

If there's still no change, we recommend having your Mac inspected at a local Apple Retail Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider. You can find locations closest to you using the Apple Support app available for iOS devices, or through the following page: Find Locations

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2022 8:30 AM in response to KD1721

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities KD1721,

Using the Keyboard Viewer to isolate the behavior with your keyboard was a good step to take.

If you're noticing that a key isn't registered unless you apply more physical pressure than you expect to need to, the issue is may be a physical one caused by debris under the key or a physical issue with the key.

The following steps address this specifically:

If your MacBook (2015 and later) or MacBook Pro (2016 and later) has an unresponsive key, or a key that feels different than the other keys when you press it, follow these steps to clean the keyboard with compressed air.

As you follow these steps, remember to use the straw included with the compressed air to control airflow, and keep the end of the straw about a half-inch away from the keyboard as you spray. Also remember to not invert the air can while you're spraying.

1: Hold your Mac notebook at a 75-degree angle, so it's not quite vertical. 
2: Use compressed air to spray the keyboard, or just the affected keys, in a left-to-right motion.

3: Rotate your Mac notebook to its right side and spray the keyboard again, from left to right.

4: Repeat the action, this time with your Mac notebook rotated to its left side.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

If there's still no change, we recommend having your Mac inspected at a local Apple Retail Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider. You can find locations closest to you using the Apple Support app available for iOS devices, or through the following page: Find Locations

Cheers!

Left shift key not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.