Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Shift key not working anymore

A few weeks ago, suddenly the left shift key of my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) keyboard stopped to accept any input, or it was the tab key, I don't remember exactly. After a short mental panic, a reboot solved the problem quickly.

Now, a few days ago, the right shift key didn't work anymore. Reboot didn't help this time, nor did RAM / NVRAM / SMC reset. I removed the key, cleaned everything, but there wasn't much dust below it, nor any Sesame grain or similar things.

My Macbook looks like new and has never been roughly handled. Of course, it could be a damage in the microswitch itself, but I somehow can't shake the sneaking suspicion that it's a software problem anyway.

Woefully, the Keyboard Service Program only includes machines until MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2019).

I will try another reboot under a full moon ...

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 5:15 AM

trikrich wrote:

A few weeks ago, suddenly the left shift key of my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) keyboard stopped to accept any input, or it was the tab key, I don't remember exactly. After a short mental panic, a reboot solved the problem quickly.

Now, a few days ago, the right shift key didn't work anymore. Reboot didn't help this time, nor did RAM / NVRAM / SMC reset. I removed the key, cleaned everything, but there wasn't much dust below it, nor any Sesame grain or similar things.

My Macbook looks like new and has never been roughly handled. Of course, it could be a damage in the microswitch itself, but I somehow can't shake the sneaking suspicion that it's a software problem anyway.

Woefully, the Keyboard Service Program only includes machines until MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2019).

Single key not working typically indicates a hardware failure w/ the keyboard itself; the resolve is top case replacement.

Compare your results with an external keyboard and compare your results.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 5:15 AM in response to trikrich

trikrich wrote:

Single key not working typically indicates a hardware failure w/ the keyboard itself; the resolve is top case replacement.

Compare your results with an external keyboard and compare your results.

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

MacBook Pro Shift key not working anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.