Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left Shift and Option keys not working

Repaired following a spill, my 15" late-2013 MacBook Pro A1398 is now fully functional - or so I thought, until I discovered these two keys missing in action. Using an external USB keyboard, both keys register as they should, so I replaced the keyboard with a new one. Same two keys are MIA.

Cleaned keyboard connector on logic board (looks good under microscope, keyboard cable is new), firmware lock is off (turned it on/off to be sure), reset all Accessibility and keyboard settings to defaults. Every other key, as well as all other functions, are fine from new OS on a new SSD.

The fact that it is only the left Shift and Option keys that are missing makes me suspect the problem is some setting somewhere. What am I missing? Thank you for any suggestions...

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 12:43 PM

Hi BDAqua, thank you for your kind reply. Yes, you are certainly correct, hardware issue. Keyboard Viewer ignores those two keys unless I connect an external keyboard. Keys going to ground is an interesting thought. I wonder where... still trying to find a pinout of that connector. Since those two keys serve a few special functions, that might complicate matters, too.

Thanks for clarifying, always good to get opinions from someone as knowledgeable as you obviously are. Looking for short. Thanks!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 12:43 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua, thank you for your kind reply. Yes, you are certainly correct, hardware issue. Keyboard Viewer ignores those two keys unless I connect an external keyboard. Keys going to ground is an interesting thought. I wonder where... still trying to find a pinout of that connector. Since those two keys serve a few special functions, that might complicate matters, too.

Thanks for clarifying, always good to get opinions from someone as knowledgeable as you obviously are. Looking for short. Thanks!

May 11, 2021 5:47 PM in response to BDAqua

Got it, thank you! (Doesn't seniority count for anything around here? ;-)

Interesting that these two keys and ControlKey are the only ones called out. Hmmm....

It's a great start, I'm gonna call it solved as it can't be a very common problem.

BTW: Hot on the heals of your message came an email from that same source containing this link:

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/nixing-fix-ftc-report-congress-repair-restrictions/nixing_the_fix_report_final_5521_630pm-508_002.pdf

All the best to you, and bless you for your countless assists over the years.

MotorMac

Left Shift and Option keys not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.