Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Messages not displaying pictures

I noticed several updates ago that pictures sent to me via Messages on my Mac weren't displaying. I can see them just fine on my phone and iPad. It even applies to images I sent from my iPhone but viewed on my Mac. This applies to both jpeg and heic file formats. I did several searches and tried multiple fixes to no avail. I even took the nuclear option and did a complete reinstall of MacOS. I have everything updated. There just has to be a setting somewhere that I can't find that is causing this behavior. Any ideas out there?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 10:13 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 10:13 AM in response to Jibeho

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drives from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Nov 29, 2022 2:23 AM in response to Jibeho

Have looked very closely at the Etrecheck Report looking for Specific Issues related to this computer.

Below are the finding and suggestion for remedial actions by the User enact.

Problem: Other problem

Description: Messages app not displaying images.

Major Issues:

Q1 -  Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be malicious and should be reviewed.

A1 - Worthy of the User time to consider reviewing the software on the computer and perhaps also use the below Software to Scan for Malware / Adware.

A1- The Application will offer to Quarantine  the malware / Adware and may even offer to remove it 

A1 - It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Minor Issues:

Q2 -  Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

A2 - Worthy for the User to consider reviewing the software on the computer  for updates or upGrades of exiting Software and / or find replacement software that is Ventura Compatible 

Q3 -   System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A3 - Anytime a computer is running wit large number of Modification, be is on purpose or by installing Third Party Application that modify the Operating System, there are consequences including  what the computer is expiring now.

Q4 - AntivirusforMac.app

Q4 - Antivirus software: Apple and Bitdefender

A4 - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11,  Monterey macOS 12, Ventura macOS 13, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

A4 - Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Kaspersky Antivirus. Anti virus

AVG AntiVirus   PowerMyMac 

Trustee  Total AV  avira antivirus   Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

AntiVirus for Mac 

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required for this computer.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Nov 30, 2022 2:28 PM in response to Jibeho

1 - AntivirusforMac.app

2 - Antivirus software: Apple and Bitdefender

Antivirus Software installed on an Apple Computer for a Non Existing Issue.

Should that not be apparent to the User

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

Make sure to advise Apple Support the computer is riddled with Two AntiVirus Software and see what they suggest.

2 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Nov 28, 2022 1:51 PM in response to PRP_53

It looks like it's the user account. The dummy account will display new messages with pictures and old ones once you open them and they load. I didn't move on to step 7 since this seemed like the case. Does that mean I have to scrap that user account and start from scratch with a new one? A bit tedious, but it has been in constant use since 2017 on this computer with all that comes with it.

Mac Messages not displaying pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.