Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina mail sending .heic format instead of .jpg

Hello,

suddenly my email client stopped converting iPhone images dropped from Photos from .heic format into .jpeg even when resizing them.

It happened in one message, where the client sent an email with one photo in jpeg and another in heic. Now in another message, I see all images sent in heic.

I don't see it when composing message, only when I check the sent email, the photos in attachment are no longer displayed as images but only as file icons of .heic format.

I'm afraid the receiver might not be able to see the photos if not on Mac or other iDevice...

I couldn't find any settings. I'm on MacBook Pro 2015 with up-to-date Catalina...

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 4:07 PM

After an update to Big Sur, this issue seems to be no longer present. I have sent only couple of emails with photos in them, but so far, every one of them has been automatically converted and (alternatively) resized. I'm hopeful it might be ok now.

5 replies

Oct 3, 2020 4:40 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks. But that's not the point. This looks like a bug to me.

Just few moments ago, I sent an email to friend of mine. I attached multiple images from Photos on Mac. I took them all by my iPhone 11 just recently. MacOS Mail converted them all but one. See the picture:

I become used to that I can send anything I want from Mail without the need to convert anything. It's a wonderful feature I like a lot. No more separate exports for mail, just drag and drop and set up the target resolution.

It started to fail, though.

macOS Catalina mail sending .heic format instead of .jpg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.