Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copying files from desktop to desktop

I want to copy files from the Desktop of our MacBook Pro 15" 2016 macOS Monterey 12.6.1 to the Desktop on our MacBook Air M2 2022 macOS Ventura 13.0.1. They are on the same WiFi network.

I open a Finder window with a Sidebar, and click on the MacBook Air in the Sidebar. Then I click on the Air's ~ folder. Three folders in Air ~ are shown as having Zero bytes: Desktop, Documents, and Downloads. Viewing ~ on the Air shows reasonable non-zero sizes for these folders.

If I try to drop a file (from the Pro desktop) into the Air Desktop, I get the message 'Items can't be copied to "Desktop" because you don't have permission to read them.' I can drop the same file successfully into either Air ~/Pictures or Air ~/Public. Permissions on Air ~: Desktop 770, Pictures 700, Public 775.

Exactly the same things happen in the opposite direction, from the Air to the Pro. This is not real surprising, 'cause yesterday I used Migration Assistant to copy virtually everything from the Pro to the Air.

If we can solve why the 3 folders show zero bytes over the network, the failure to copy may well go away too.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 5:05 AM

The SMB server does not have access to those folders. When an app tries to access data in them, the OS should ask you for permission. However, that doesn’t seem to work for SMB. You can add the SMB daemon you’re right,(smbd), to full disk access in the privacy and security system settings.

or, you can move it to some other location and then transfer it after the fact.

Make sure you’re moving from the destination commuter so that user has access to the file once it’s copied.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 5:05 AM in response to Craig MacKenna

The SMB server does not have access to those folders. When an app tries to access data in them, the OS should ask you for permission. However, that doesn’t seem to work for SMB. You can add the SMB daemon you’re right,(smbd), to full disk access in the privacy and security system settings.

or, you can move it to some other location and then transfer it after the fact.

Make sure you’re moving from the destination commuter so that user has access to the file once it’s copied.

Dec 2, 2022 8:22 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for replying.

I thought of copying to a different location yesterday, and that works fine.

I couldn't find anything about smbd, or even full disk access, in System Prefs:Security and Privacy on my Pro/Monterey machine. Could you please provide a more detailed description of how I might do that? What does "you're right" mean in your post?

I am the only user on both machines, so access should not be a problem.

Dec 2, 2022 1:21 PM in response to Barney-15E

I found Full Disk Access in Privacy & Security under both Ventura and Monterey. There are only 3 options on the (new) Ventura machine, 21 on the old Monterey machine. But don't see any option on either one that includes "smbd". If I need to add an item with "+", what do I enter? I didn't find any file in /System/Library/CoreServices that includes "smbd" in its name.

Dec 3, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey, that worked! Enabling /usr/sbin/smdb for full disk access, on the destination machine, shows the size of the Desktop, Documents, and Download folders in the ~ directory, and also allows copying files directly to the desetination machine's Desktop. Thank you so much!

I have been a Mac user since 1984, but never knew about Command-Shift-G nor Go to Folder in the Finder's Go menu. You are the most helpful and knowledgeable person that I can remember encountering in the Apple Communities forums!

copying files from desktop to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.