Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy & Paste Won't Work

I am having trouble copying files from one folder to another using Finder on my Mac mini. I select the files to be copied then right click and select Copy. Or I chooses Copy 8 items from the Edit menu. Then I navigate to the folder I want to copy them to and right click to select Paste. But, the Paste option is not there. I have tried this navigating within the same Finder window and also using a new Finder window. Either way the Paste option is not there. I have checked my permissions and I both Read & Write. I am the administrator. I can move them by dragging the files from one folder to another but I want to copy, not move. This should be a very simple operation but it just won't work for me.

macOS 12.3.6. Mac Mini late 2014.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 1:23 PM

Are you able to open both folders and then Option drag the files from Folder A to Folder B?

Also boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 1:23 PM in response to RaydeeohMan

Are you able to open both folders and then Option drag the files from Folder A to Folder B?

Also boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Copy & Paste Won't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.