Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro m2 not detected second monitor after update to os 13

Hi, Does anyone have some issue that macbook cannot detect second monitor after os update?

i use hdmi to hdmi and with converter to usb-c, before update to os venture my second monitor work perfectly, but after update, sometimes it can detect second monitor with unplug the cable and restart macbook. but now it no longer detect my monitor, i have tried to update os to version 13.1 but it's just the same. i try to buy new cable also try to manual detect with opt + detect displays but i also didn't work. i want to buy display port to usb-c cable and will update if it works.

anyone can help? this is really frustrating

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 11:30 AM

Apple-Silicon 2020 M1 13-in MacBook Pro and Air and 2022 Apple-Silicon M2 13-in MacBook Pro and Air are extremely-capable entry-level computers. They can support the internal display AND an External display up to the previously unheard of size of the Apple 6K display at billions of colors. But only ONE in addition to the internal display.

This may not match the way older computers forced you to work, since older computers were not able to support a really large external display. But it is NOT a defect. The spec was available long before you could purchase the computer.

The Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, makes them suitable for full-motion video for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues. This requires a hardware rasterizer/display-generator for each fully-accelerated display. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2022 11:30 AM in response to rizal113

Apple-Silicon 2020 M1 13-in MacBook Pro and Air and 2022 Apple-Silicon M2 13-in MacBook Pro and Air are extremely-capable entry-level computers. They can support the internal display AND an External display up to the previously unheard of size of the Apple 6K display at billions of colors. But only ONE in addition to the internal display.

This may not match the way older computers forced you to work, since older computers were not able to support a really large external display. But it is NOT a defect. The spec was available long before you could purchase the computer.

The Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, makes them suitable for full-motion video for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues. This requires a hardware rasterizer/display-generator for each fully-accelerated display. 

Dec 4, 2022 11:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

DisplayLink technology creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface.  It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock that includes DisplayLink chips.

If you did a software update and lost your second external display, it could mean you need an updated version of DisplayLink software.

Macbook pro m2 not detected second monitor after update to os 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.