Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horrendous screen flickering and no 60hz support

I'm using a Samsung U28E590 4K 60 hz monitor (yes, I checked the specs) and I'm getting both terrible screen flickering and only 30hz operation at all resolutions. This is with both an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 Macbook Air. What could be causing it, and can it be fixed?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 1:23 AM

How exactly is the display connected to your macs? Specific cables, adapters, docks...

Also: did you try holding down the Option key when clicking "Scaled"? This can, in some cases, offer additional options for displays.

Another thing you can try is to install the free "BetterDisplay" software. This also can offer additional options for resolution and frame rate.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 1:23 AM in response to rchrdgrace

How exactly is the display connected to your macs? Specific cables, adapters, docks...

Also: did you try holding down the Option key when clicking "Scaled"? This can, in some cases, offer additional options for displays.

Another thing you can try is to install the free "BetterDisplay" software. This also can offer additional options for resolution and frame rate.

Dec 6, 2022 11:32 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis!

Yeah, the 'docking stations' definitely have an effect. Because I use my Mac primarily for music production, I'm forced to use a few different stations for all the USB ports I need. I'm also using the latest update to the OS, so the system preferences panel has changed and that option doesn't appear! I tried another multiport adapter out of desperation this morning, and suddenly my video options showed 60hz refresh rate as an option and the problems magically went away! Not a single flicker all day, literally for the first time. So the problem is definitely not the monitor, and I think the computer is fine too.

Horrendous screen flickering and no 60hz support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.