Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sunset automation not working anymore

First of all: I use an Apple TV as my HomeKit node, not a Homepod, but there is no topic "HomeKit" and this seems the most appropriate. Please let me know if I'm wrong there. 😅

Situation is as follows. I used to have a HomeKit automation that would turn on my lights about an hour before sunset. I live in South America. Traveled to Europe and since I've come back (about a month ago now) sunset automation stopped working.

Some things that may be or not be relevant:

1. I bought an Eve temperature sensor during my trip in Europe and wanted to test it out. It got connected to my home in South America. When I came back, the time was off in Eve. I had to remove it from there and re-add it to fix. Maybe this somehow threw it off, I don't know.
  2. There are multiple iPhones and Macs in the house. They're all new (iPhone 13s) and the Macs all run Ventura, minus one old Mini. So the operating systems are more "modern" than when I didn't have this problem.
  3. I've checked access to location services on all iPhones and Macs and they're all set to "While using".
  4. I also have a Homebridge install running for access to Ring cameras and Sonos, not sure if that can do anything.
  5. Timer automation works fine; things turn off at the locally configured time, so it understands my timezone.

Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 12:45 PM

There is a long discussion about ongoing Homekit issues here:

Homekit Automations are broken in iOS 16 - Apple Community

There doesn't seem to be a universal fix and often the "solution" only works for a few days.

Regarding your issue, have you tried creating a new sunset automation? Sometimes existing automations seem to fail for no apparent reason and the only thing that works is disabling/deleting it and creating a new automation.

BTW for years users have been calling for a Homekit category in Discussions, without success.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 12:45 PM in response to ProbablyDrunk

There is a long discussion about ongoing Homekit issues here:

Homekit Automations are broken in iOS 16 - Apple Community

There doesn't seem to be a universal fix and often the "solution" only works for a few days.

Regarding your issue, have you tried creating a new sunset automation? Sometimes existing automations seem to fail for no apparent reason and the only thing that works is disabling/deleting it and creating a new automation.

BTW for years users have been calling for a Homekit category in Discussions, without success.

Dec 6, 2022 5:36 PM in response to Michael Paine

Thank you for your answer Michael. Ok, I wasn't aware of that, I guess I am part of the group of users that experience issues like that yes.

I think I tried to recreate the automation, that seems to make sense. But to be honest I've tried so much that I'm not sure anymore... will try to do so again. And I'll add it from my phone instead of the Mac, sure I didn't try that.

And yeah, a HomeKit category would make sense yes.

Sunset automation not working anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.