Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copying a file with Finder corrupts the data

Anyone figured it out?

I have the same problem with video files on Ventura and even before that.

I made a call to costumer support. I thought I got to the bottom of it with an app that I installed on the laptop( MacBook Air M1), it was a tool for my external hdd(WD passport ultra). I uninstalled it and for a while everything was good. Then it happened again.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 8:47 AM

If the user installed Their Party Software than came Bundled with the WD Drive - contact the Developer for specific Instructions to remove the Software

Apple Computer are very well equipped to manage External Drive without the interference of third party software.

Then refer to below link on how to Reformat an External Drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 8:47 AM in response to Bogdyobo

If the user installed Their Party Software than came Bundled with the WD Drive - contact the Developer for specific Instructions to remove the Software

Apple Computer are very well equipped to manage External Drive without the interference of third party software.

Then refer to below link on how to Reformat an External Drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Dec 9, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Bogdyobo

This issue was brought up back in May 2022 with Monterey:

File this under Weird: In Monterey copying a file with Finder corrupts the data in the target file - Apple Community

It is currently four pages long, but I think there were a few posts within it with some clues about what has happening (at least for some people) which may help you to avoid the issue. At least for some cases, the problem may be related to libraries some third party apps may be using and how they access memory.

Maybe try booting into Safe Mode to see if you still have the problem as this prevents third party software from automatically launching during boot & login. Does it occur when using the Finder or when accessing files from within another app?

Dec 11, 2022 12:31 PM in response to HWTech

How common is this problem?

I read the thread you linked but it really didn't clarify things for me. True, some people were using/doing strange things that I would never do ... but the underlying issue of Finder corrupting copied files is very worrisome.

I have not yet moved to Monterey ... but was preparing to do so. If Finder corruption of copied files is a real issue, I probably will not do it.

copying a file with Finder corrupts the data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.