Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any fix for Ventura moving files on Windows server broken?

Worked flawlessly for years. With update to Ventura, anytime move files on Windows server from one folder to another, file becomes unable or is not visible. Sometimes able to copy the file on the computer and then open it. Are there any fixes that have worked? Does anyone know if Apple plans on fixing this? Otherwise Ventura is pretty useless for most office environments.

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 1:35 PM

Hi rb8746,

We'd like to get some additional details that can assist in facilitating additional replies from the community.

• What device or devices are you attempting this with?
  • Are you using iCloud Drive or another service?
  • Have you noticed any pattern in when this feature does or does not work as expected?

You may find helpful information regarding iCloud for Windows here: What is iCloud for Windows? - Apple Support

Regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2023 1:35 PM in response to rb8746

Hi rb8746,

We'd like to get some additional details that can assist in facilitating additional replies from the community.

• What device or devices are you attempting this with?
  • Are you using iCloud Drive or another service?
  • Have you noticed any pattern in when this feature does or does not work as expected?

You may find helpful information regarding iCloud for Windows here: What is iCloud for Windows? - Apple Support

Regards.

Mar 15, 2023 1:51 PM in response to Drew_7

I am using MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro. Mac OS 13.2.1 (22D68)

While I use iCloud, this is unrelated to iCloud. This is simply moving files on the Windows server between folders remotely through VPN, and from laptop to server and back. This has been flawless for a decade with various Macs, and now there is a problem with Ventura. There is no problem using a Windows laptop to do the same.

The problem arises when a file is resaved on the server or when it is moved from one folder to another on the server. The file can either not be opened directly from the server (but can sometimes be copied from the server to the laptop hard drive and then opened), or file goes invisible or is "not found" when it is there on the server.

Mar 15, 2023 1:55 PM in response to rb8746

rb8746 wrote:

Worked flawlessly for years. With update to Ventura, anytime move files on Windows server from one folder to another, file becomes unable or is not visible. Sometimes able to copy the file on the computer and then open it.

I've heard a few similar reports.

Are there any fixes that have worked?

I haven't heard of a definitive fix.

Does anyone know if Apple plans on fixing this?

No idea. Apple doesn't announce such things. If there is a fix, you would need to sign up for one of the beta programs to see if the fix works in June. You may be able to get access to the AppleSeed for IT program. If not, you can pay $99 to get developer seeds. Failing that, there will be a public beta in the summer.

However, your best bet would be one of the seed programs where you could submit a bug report on the problem, assuming it isn't already fixed. That would be your best opportunity to get the attention of someone who might be inclined to fix it.

Otherwise Ventura is pretty useless for most office environments.

I don't know about "most office" environments. I thought macOS networked volume support was unacceptable in 2015. I don't know how so many people made it to Ventura. But there are alternatives to file servers. I recommend people use products like https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence. Having a file server these days is like asking for ransomware.

Any fix for Ventura moving files on Windows server broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.