Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro and Cinema Display

Hey brains trust. I have a 5th gen IPad Pro 12.9, and I’m trying to connect it to my old Cinema Display. Display is about 12 years old, work so well on my partners Mac Book air, but will not work on the iPad. Please don’t make me go back to the Lenovo screen!! attached are the docks and connectors I’ve tried so far, and the last one is the connectors the screen has… Is it a power issue (the screen doesn’t like certain old wall sockets around the house), is it firmware, if so any options? Or is there a magical hub or something that will bring my photos back to life big time!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 5:13 PM

Your last photo shows the available inputs (actually the connecting cables) for your old display - of which the “squarish” connector is the only video input connector, this being Thunderbolt 2. This is old! As your elderly monitor does not have either HDMI or VGA input, your available options are very limited.

Your fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9” natively supports USB4/Thunderbolt3 over USB-C - for which external monitor connection options are outlined here:

Connect iPad to a display with a cable – Apple Support

As you are attempting to connect your iPad’s USB-C port to Thunderbolt 2, even if technically possible, this connection scenario would require experimentation with multiple adapters/interface converters. Finding a combination that actually works (or is reliable) will not be straightforward. Having done some “Googling”, I’ve not found a workable solution.

In conclusion, while you have a great (legacy) monitor, you should consider something much newer…

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 5:13 PM in response to Octaneskin

Your last photo shows the available inputs (actually the connecting cables) for your old display - of which the “squarish” connector is the only video input connector, this being Thunderbolt 2. This is old! As your elderly monitor does not have either HDMI or VGA input, your available options are very limited.

Your fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9” natively supports USB4/Thunderbolt3 over USB-C - for which external monitor connection options are outlined here:

Connect iPad to a display with a cable – Apple Support

As you are attempting to connect your iPad’s USB-C port to Thunderbolt 2, even if technically possible, this connection scenario would require experimentation with multiple adapters/interface converters. Finding a combination that actually works (or is reliable) will not be straightforward. Having done some “Googling”, I’ve not found a workable solution.

In conclusion, while you have a great (legacy) monitor, you should consider something much newer…

iPad Pro and Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.