Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scammers locked my iPhone

Hey! I wanted to sell my phone and somebody texted to me that can I check her iCloud. If my phone sign in to her iCloud then she will buy my phone. But when I enter she changed password and locked my phone. Now asking me a money to unlock my iPhone!!! I have a check and all documents. So I requested from apple support and they refused. I don’t know what to do

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 4:51 PM

Hello Jenikaa,

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

*Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 4:51 PM in response to Jenikaa

Hello Jenikaa,

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

*Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Scammers locked my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.