Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot using thunderbolt monitor

Hi,

my Mac pro 6.1 has a problem when it starts up.

I'd like to start it up connecting the monitor only with thunderbolt because hdmi 1.4 don't support 60Hz.

Actually I'm using Benq PD2700U monitor, which has both hdmi and thunderbolt connections and I have set the thunderbolt one (there are two monitors in sys pref when both cables are connected) as main screen in screen settings.

When I boot it using thunderbolt input, it shows the first screen asking for the password, then it turns black and the monitor says there is no signal. The only thing that I can do at that point is to switch monitor to hdmi input and once it has been recognized I can switch back to thunderbolt. That's pretty annoying :/

I've tried to boot leaving the hdmi cable unplugged but after asking the password it remains stuck in limbo in which mac is on and the monitor remains off.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 4:47 PM

The Mac does not even allow you to specify which display is connected and where, which can make experiments like this more complex. The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 4:47 PM in response to _enrico_

The Mac does not even allow you to specify which display is connected and where, which can make experiments like this more complex. The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

Dec 8, 2022 6:24 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Is there any possibility that you might have set the resolution for Mini DisplayPort to something wonky? If so, Safe mode can be used to recover from that:

Safe Mode does a number of different things. On older Intel Macs, hold shift at startup, but have your userid and password at the ready.

A parade of unusual things happens.

• Your Mac loads just enough of the kernel to do a disk check. Then it proceeds to do a disk check. This can take an extra about five minutes.

• your userid and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. So have them handy.

• Your Mac adds ONLY a minimal set of Apple-Only extensions, Not including graphics acceleration extensions. Screen updates will therefore be wonky and slow, but it ultimately should be correct.

• Your Mac assumes defaults for as many settings as possible, including screen resolution. This is the key for re-setting the screen, but there is a little more to it: Resolution is likely to be lower and settings ordinary. Use this as a starting point to customize settings to your liking.

Any changes you make in Safe Mode will "stick" in regular mode after you restart.

• after restart in normal mode, your Mac will take slightly longer to start up [once] because it rebuilds some system caches.

Boot using thunderbolt monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.