Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compromised passwords

I just upgraded to a new phone today. Just after transferring all of the data from my old phone to my new phone I received a notification saying my passwords have been leaked and are now compromised and it’s prompting me to change my passwords. I have over 100 passwords saved on my phone. Do I really need to change them? Is it a risk if I ignore the notification?

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 4:47 PM

Your iPhone is informing you that some of your passwords have appeared in published lists of compromised accounts that are for sale on the dark web. That does not necessarily mean that your accounts are compromised. Most likely it means you are using simple passwords that are easy to guess.

See Change weak or compromised passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 4:47 PM in response to ryane2244

Your iPhone is informing you that some of your passwords have appeared in published lists of compromised accounts that are for sale on the dark web. That does not necessarily mean that your accounts are compromised. Most likely it means you are using simple passwords that are easy to guess.

See Change weak or compromised passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

Dec 8, 2022 3:39 PM in response to ryane2244

It's a scam message that is trying to trick you into clicking a link or calling a phone number to buy useless software or worse, provide personal information to the bad guys. Ignore and delete the message or email.

If the message appears to be from "Apple" or "Apple Service", you should know that Apple does not send messages like this.

Compromised passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.