Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Compatibility

I want to replace the SSD of the MacBook Air 13 inch 2017 and I would like to know if a 1TB SSD is compatible, I read in the documentation that it's "Configurable to 512GB SSD", so I'm with this question now. More specifically the SSD I would like to put is this: https://www.amazon.com.br/gp/aw/d/B07QDPD1XY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 7:56 PM

Your Amazon link seems to be for an OWC Aura SSD (assuming the Amazon seller is actually providing a legitimate SSD), it should be fine. OWC has made these Aura SSD specifically for use in the Macs as the Macs use a special Apple proprietary SSD connector.

Just make sure you already have macOS 13.x Ventura installed already on your laptop so the laptop's firmware is completely up to date. At the very least you need to have had macOS 10.13 installed at some point in the past so an NVMe based SSD will work on this laptop. I'm suggesting you first install Ventura as well since the macOS 12.x Monterey installer refused to install to a Mac with a third party internal SSD because the installer prevented the system firmware update from being installed. Once the system firmware has been updated, then macOS Monterey could be installed while using an internal third party SSD. I haven't really heard anything like this regarding the Ventura installer, but keep this in mind if Ventura is not already installed.

I highly recommend you keep the original Apple SSD just in case it is ever needed for a future macOS upgrade. The original SSD can also be useful for testing the laptop if you ever suspect the new SSD ever has a problem.

Keep in mind if you ever boot into an older version of macOS or macOS installer, that it will not even see the physical SSD as the older versions of macOS before 10.13 don't have the necessary NVMe driver to communicate with the third party NVMe SSD. Sometimes even when using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to attempt to access the most recent version of maOS installer, it will still only boot to the older online OS installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop from the factory. Just some things to keep in mind.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 7:56 PM in response to anabeatrizzz

Your Amazon link seems to be for an OWC Aura SSD (assuming the Amazon seller is actually providing a legitimate SSD), it should be fine. OWC has made these Aura SSD specifically for use in the Macs as the Macs use a special Apple proprietary SSD connector.

Just make sure you already have macOS 13.x Ventura installed already on your laptop so the laptop's firmware is completely up to date. At the very least you need to have had macOS 10.13 installed at some point in the past so an NVMe based SSD will work on this laptop. I'm suggesting you first install Ventura as well since the macOS 12.x Monterey installer refused to install to a Mac with a third party internal SSD because the installer prevented the system firmware update from being installed. Once the system firmware has been updated, then macOS Monterey could be installed while using an internal third party SSD. I haven't really heard anything like this regarding the Ventura installer, but keep this in mind if Ventura is not already installed.

I highly recommend you keep the original Apple SSD just in case it is ever needed for a future macOS upgrade. The original SSD can also be useful for testing the laptop if you ever suspect the new SSD ever has a problem.

Keep in mind if you ever boot into an older version of macOS or macOS installer, that it will not even see the physical SSD as the older versions of macOS before 10.13 don't have the necessary NVMe driver to communicate with the third party NVMe SSD. Sometimes even when using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to attempt to access the most recent version of maOS installer, it will still only boot to the older online OS installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop from the factory. Just some things to keep in mind.

Dec 8, 2022 5:47 PM in response to anabeatrizzz

"Configurable" in Apple's specifications means that the purchaser may elect to configure that Mac with that option when purchasing it. Apple then builds the Mac to your specifications. It does not describe unapproved, aftermarket modifications which will render the affected Macs ineligible for all authorized support.

If you are interested in modifying that Mac then peruse options offered by OWC / MacSales. They have been supporting Macs for decades. Don't rely upon Amazon for that.

SSD Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.